Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Surprised By Oxford

Surprised By Oxford by Carolyn Weber





Book Was About:A girl, Carolyn Drake, who comes from a  somewhat broken family is off to Oxford.She is studying literature and stuff like Keats, through her first year there she finds God through new Christian friends and God's presence.Filled with wonderful quotes and a lot of in depth discussions about, God science and religion. A really well written, true story.

 Objectionable Content:

Romance:Some hugging, holding hands and a few small kisses.
Bad Romance:Mentions a couple making out and some implications to sleeping together and some stuff like that.She is frightened about someone running behind her at one part, but then discovers it's just a Christian guy running as well.

Language:B**Ls**t,  D*m*,  H**l,  D*r*,  C**p,  S**k.

Violence:Some yelling and arguing.otherwise I don't think there was anything else.

Other:Drinking, smoking, abortion(slight mention).And mention of being gay and drugs.

Setting:Around 1994.

What I Thought:Well, some of the "in depth discussions" were a little hard to understand, though I got most of it.And sometimes they could be a little boring.But if you stick it out to the end you will so not be disappointed, the ending was awesome!The book was pretty long...440 pages.So that was a little daunting, but I really enjoyed the story, I really like the author(even though she is like so smart, I'm sorta in awe of all the poems she has memorized!) and how she had all of these quotes in the book.So I really did like it! And how she found God was so wonderful!!

Rating & Age:4 1/2 stars. Teens and adults.Though the teens under 14-15 should ask their parents, there is some gay, drinking & smoking stuff.

Sierra♥


I got this book free from the publisher.

I review for BookSneeze®

2 comments:

  1. I like the cover. And it's awesome that she finds God there! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna: Thanks and it is awesome!
    Sierra
    Keep Growing Beautiful♥ (Cause You Are!)

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)