Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

A (Little) Nuh-Uh:The Rose Bride

The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride" (Once Upon a Time)The series, Once Upon A Time is a couple authors retelling fairy tales. This retelling is of The White Bride and The Black Bride, a fairy tale that I have not read so I can't really compare it to the real story. However The Rose bride (by Nancy Holder) was about a girl, Rose whose mother wished to Artemis that she would know true love. So thus, after her mother's death just then, Rose is on a tragic journey to find true loves meaning and let me just say that there is a lot of despair. So I thought that it was just to sad for me. And I can usually handle dark stuff okay. This one was just one thing after another. Although it did keep me reading and had some great descriptions that made the book come alive...I thought that it also could have had a bit better ending. And really other than the sad stuff, which was a lot it was pretty interesting. If it hadn't been sad and she had just been an orphan with no evil (literally) step-mom to cut everything she loved out of her life it would have been happier. But all the other books in this series that I have read, I have loved. And I have read...seven or eight of them. I kinda need to get my other reviews published :P And also notice how I said "little" in parenthesis? That means that I didn't really like it but it might just be me and it isn't super bad or inappropriate. This is just my opinion and I don't want to offend anyone either and I hope I haven't.
Sierra♥
Keep Reading :)

4 comments:

  1. I've read a few in this series {about 5} and most of them were pretty good :) But thanks for the review, 'cause I really don't like sad/dark books :P
    It's just...dismal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel. I've never read this book, but I've read books where every good thing is cut from the protagonist's life, and it is nothing but irritating.
    But at least there are other authors who don't do that, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when a author has a great plot going for them, but they make everything depressing, or there's no happy ending. It's why I was partially disappointed in Mockingjay. Just saying, she shouldn't have done that to Prim.

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trinka: All of the other Once Upon A Time books that I have read have been wonderful!!!! Yeah...dark books aren't to much fun...

    Rachel T: Yes it's so great that others are great books that have characters that have a happy life with happy problems :P Glad to see you around, I haven't in a while...

    Jessica:I sure do hate it when there is just one thing that messes up the book (Graceling was like that...great plot...then she brought in the one scene I hated......). And I found that yes Mockinjay was terrible in that point but also that it was slow compared to the other two books.

    Sierra
    Keep Reading...

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)