Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Unnaturalists

The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
The Unnaturalists
Summery: Vespa Nyx is interested in unnaturals, which any normal girl her age shouldn't be interested in. She should be raving over balls and sewing all morning. But not her. She dreams of  being a pedant, something women aren't allowed to be. (A pedant is basically a scholar/researcher/discoverer mix) However one fateful day she is somehow pushed into the shield holding the Sphinx. The shield collapses and the Sphinx attacks her. She is only saved by a mysterious Pedant Lumin who brings an adventure to her that was just waiting to break forth. Meanwhile another adventure has started. Syrus Reed is a Tinker, an outcast people who know the unnaturals and the old ways, before New London. His clan and family have been taken to be slaves at the Refinery and he is the only one left. He is given a mission by the Manticore, to find the only hope to save their world. 

Romance:A couple kisses, forcing someone to marry, flirting, liking/loving someone, thinking/talking about someone, touching.
Inappropriate Romance: Syrus sneaks in and hides in Vespa's room to talk to her and she undress while he hiding (nothing seen, very brief mention), mention of marriage bed (once), mention in a story of wife having a secret lover, mystic implication to heirs and a companion (either that or a high lady in waiting type position, two sentences)

Language:2 (barely)

Violence: Taking human beings and turning them into wights (soulds taken away),turning people into werewolves, killing, battles, magical battles, an attack, threats, injuries, yelling/arguments.

Other:Fairies and other creatures of such (manticore, hob, sphinx, giant), lying, eavesdropping, breaking and entering, magic, werewolves, the worship of scientists and Darwin, a carnival in which it is mentioned that some of the party goers aren't wearing anything (they ride by in a carriage).

Time Period: Another world...1900s like.

My Thoughts: I was looking forward to reading this book for a while and although I don't think it is a favorite it was certainly good! The plot was pretty well done and although I thought the ending could have been done a bit better I overall liked it pretty well. And I don't mean to say that I didn't like, I did and it was an enjoyable read. I also really liked the cover and the "New London" there were a lot of new inventions that I liked :) I would recommend this book to teen reader. Mostly girls probably. 

My Stars:4
Sierra
Keep reading!
P.S. I thought y'all would like to know...this is one of the most exact reviews I've done (not including Booksneeze, Zondervan or Tyndale reviews) as I only finished this book yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... this sounds interesting. May have to look into it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)