Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Still Lolo

Still Lolo by Lauren Scruggs and family.
Book description: In December 2011, Lauren (“LoLo”) Scruggs, a 23-year-old fashion journalist, suffered a sudden injury that made headlines around the world. She had been on a short flight to look at Christmas lights and, upon exiting the small plane, was hit by the still-moving propeller blade. A frantic 911 call, several major surgeries, and thousands of prayers later: Lauren lived. But she lost her left hand and left eye. And she had to face some incredibly difficult questions: What kind of future will I have? Where is God in all this pain? Will anyone ever be able to love me now? In Still LoLo, Lauren speaks out for the first time since her accident. She and her family reveal what really happened that night, what Lauren’s life is like today, what got them through their journey toward healing, and how they conquered all odds to persevere as a family. It’s a compelling and fiercely beautiful story of faith, determination, and staying true to who you are—no matter what.
http://www.tyndale.com/authorphotos/amazon/1516/pic_full_scruggs_lauren.jpg
Objectionable content:Mention of sleeping together, making out, dating, injuries, drinking, divorce, going to a bar, yelling/arguments, an affair, talk of pregnancy that had some issues.
My thoughts: This is a very inspirational book in several ways. It shows a family being brought to God, the same family growing in God and finding strength in him when Lauren has her accident. And mainly it's about Lauren, and her terrible accident. The people that stood by her, helping her as she recovered and got stronger. The journey that Lauren experienced before and after her accident and God's plans for her. I felt that this book was a message to others who are struggling in any sort of way that you can make it though the hardest of things that life throws at you. There was one thing, near the end of the book, that I did not agree with. Basically it was said something to the same idea as "We don't know why God let/made this happen to Lauren, but we only know that he can have it work to the good of all of us..." Something along those lines. I don't agree with that. I believe that bad things happen in this world because of sin and God takes the mess and cleans it up. I just wanted to say that. Otherwise I really enjoyed hearing Lauren's story that really encouraged me and was amazing. If you want to take a peek at the first chapter... http://mediacenter.tyndale.com/downloads/press_kits/StillLoloCh1.pdf
http://mediacenter.tyndale.com/downloads/press_kits/PushUp.jpg

All in all it was wonderful hearing how Lauren was able to overcome. I think that after all of this that she has lost, she has more, on the inside. I would recommend this book to YA+ and I think it would be very encouraging to many teens.
My stars:3.9 if I'm being technical.
Love, Sierra
P.S. I was given a copy of this book free from the publisher and the views I expressed are my own.
Tyndale Blog Network

1 comment:

  1. I've thought about reading this one - thanks for the review, Sierra!

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)