Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

~MR~ Daughter Of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)Book description:Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.
When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself? (taken from Goodreads)

My thoughts:I had heard good things about this book and thought I'd give it a chance and try. I was turned off at first (when I read the flap) because of the whole angel and devil thing. Really the chimaera aren't devils or demons. They're just mixed and mashed up monsters that keep coming back to fight the angels for some liberty. There is a good bit of language, some implied sexuality (them laying together, talking after,  and implication or mention of something concerning it) and some nudity (Karou's ex comes to model for her art class.) Apart from that however this was a great book that I felt lived up to the hype that I had heard about it. It was exciting and exotic. I mean blue hair, Prague....how is that not completely set apart from other books??!?!?!? There was a nice plot throughout the whole book, a very nice ending that leaves you wanting more and really strong characters. Speaking of characters, I really liked Zuzana, I mean she's short and feisty....how could I not like her? I would recommend this book to teens. (and if you are a Christian teen, I would say that 15-16 would be a good age to read it because of some of the things mentioned)
Cover thoughts:It doesn't really make sense until the end of the book, but it's a nice touch, I thought. Definitely mysterious and beautiful, as masquerades are *grins*
Love, Sierra

2 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOSH! Sierra, this new layout is LOVELY. Its so bright and pretty - and much more streamlined, meaning it's easier to read. Great job to Britt for designing it - and you for helping it along.

    This sounds like an intriguing read that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)