Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

The Friday Society

 The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress.
The Friday SocietyBook description: Set in turn of the century London, The Friday Society follows the stories of three very intelligent and talented young women, all of whom are assistants to powerful men: Cora, lab assistant; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant; and Nellie, magician's assistant. The three young women's lives become inexorably intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man.

It's up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder–and the crimes they believe may be connected to it–without calling too much attention to themselves.

Set in the past but with a modern irreverent flare, this Steampunk whodunit introduces three unforgettable and very ladylike–well, relatively ladylike–heroines poised for more dangerous adventures. (taken from Goodreads)  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~     
   Romance: Some kisses (not described) and mention of scandalous things, liking someone. Language:5+ Violence: Shooting, a couple sword fights, some death and murder. Other: Drinking, opium den (brief) several escapades in undergarments. Time period:Somewhere about 1900s or very late 1800s.
My thoughts:I had been expected to really enjoy this book...kick-butt girls taking down bad guys in a steampunk setting... In that sense it did not disappoint. I thought it was well written and exciting as well but there was a lot of language (not necessarily old-ish bad language, more modern stuff like sh-t and crap) and a scene a bit like a sleepover where they get drunk and play an older form of truth or dare. (and I mean older like an old name :P) In some ways it was contradictory. You'd have a historical setting and then a very modern expression or something like that. Which bugged me. It seemed really off, in that sense. However it was very exciting and enjoyable. I did like it, just wished a couple of things could have been changed. The ending was great in the fact that the bad guy was a surprise and one of the people I wanted to be a bad guy because I found them annoying was indeed guilty of something :) I hope that there is another book coming soon...I would recommend to teen girls. Girls, this is a funny, slightly romantic and definitely kick-butt filled  book :)
Cover thoughts:I like it. However if you have it on your lap the bottom is a bit too dark and you can see nail polish (pink) on at least two of the girl's hands. :/ I really like the outfits, props and the background!
My favorite character:Michiko, because she was honorable. And strong. Secondly....maybe Cora or Nellie? (they're tied) None of the others really stood out to me.
Stars:3.5
Love, Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)