Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Poison Princess

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole. The first book in The Arcana Chronicles.
Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)Book description:She could save the world—or destroy it.
Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.


But she can’t do either alone.
With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?


Who can Evie trust?
As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side…(taken from Goodreads)



Objectionable:Making out, Evie's boyfriend (before the Fash) was pressuring her to have s-x with him on her 16th birthday, at one point Jack pulls out a condom when they're making out and Evie protests (too fast for her...must say it's nice to know safety is being promoted in YA books :P), Evie also thinks that Jack slept with Selena for a while (he didn't). Shooting, killing, injuries, gory battles of the past seen & described, yelling/arguments, torture, and suicide. Crude jokes tarot cards characters coming to life, visions, and a large chunk of drinking. Language was 5++ (there was a lot, but no uses of the f word).

Thoughts:This was a very exciting and interesting book with a thrilling plot that kept me turning pages! Apart from the things I disagree with (language, drinking etc.) I thought this was a pretty good book. Maybe a little scary in some parts, but not that scary. (in my opinion) Definitely a little gory here and there. But it was an interesting idea and I found myself swept up in the plot and reading. (I missed lunch) The plot was all twisty turning...like vines. I'm reading the second book, without a doubt! Somewhat like Beautiful Creatures with the southern feel and the Cajun and supernatural like elements. But there is no way this book is like any other! It's really unique.

The author also created a wonderful dystopian world and had a marvelous way of telling the story. It starts out in the present, goes 6 or 8 months back and then pretty much tells the story from there before returning to the present day (well the character's present day) to end with a tragic ending that may have given me chills. By far the second or last third were the best part of the book. Overall this was a really edge-of-your-seat-what-is-going-to-happen book with okay characters and excitement at ever corner with some language and "hmmmm" stuff like gore and tarot card character powers. I would recommend to 16+ girls & guys? The main character is a girl but there is definitely a lot of action and gore in there for some guys.

Characters:While I liked most of the characters and they were all overall good...and some really hot while others were laugh out loud funny. My problem was I just couldn't see "before crazy" Evie. I get that having visions and being sent to an insane asylum could change a person, but I couldn't see her as the preppy rich kid that she was supposed to have been. I saw her much easier as the girl who was running for life, taking care of her injured mom and taking out bad guys. Or kinda taking them out. The two parts of her pre-crazy/pre-flash and accepting crazy/post-flash just weren't consistent. *shrugs* I did like her okay though. Jack was swoony bad boy who spoke french so enough said there. There were several other characters I liked including a boy Evie rescues, Matthew I think. And Evie's best friend was hilarious.
Cover:I like it. The colors fit and its an okay model for Jack. I really liked fire and the fonts.
Stars:3 (-stuff it would have been a 4)
Love, Sierra

4 comments:

  1. I really liked this one! I can see what you are saying about that southern feel like in Beautiful Creatures. The tarot cards stuff was my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tarot card stuff was pretty cool :) I liked it too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Were it not for all the language (ugh!), I might read this one. Profanity in books sort of turns me off because it's "consistently" through them whereas an inappropriate scene (though just as immoral) happens on one page and is over in the next.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh. That is a good point. Personally language doesn't bother me too much although sometimes it can get "stuck" in my head which is when I need a break :P Without the language and inappropriate scenes etc. this would have been a really great book (I think)
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)