Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

~Mini review~Summer of the Wolves

Summer of the WolvesSummer of the Wolves by Lisa Williams Kline. Sisters in all Seasons book one.
Book description:Stepsisters, yes. Friends? Maybe ... 'I smelled the wolf now---sharp and musky. I scanned the pen and saw a shadow behind one of the bushes that might be another wolf. Probably two of the most miserable looking creatures I'd ever seen.' --from Summer of the Wolves Stephanie and Diana are having a hard time adjusting to life as new stepsisters. The girls 'pretend' to like each other, but it's pretty hard considering they are complete opposites. When their new family takes their first-ever vacation to a horse ranch in North Carolina, not even long horse-back rides in the forest can tame their tempers. Diana's anger issues and Stephanie's fear of everything prove disastrous, until Diana discovers the caged wolves in the deep woods. She vows to free them, and surprisingly, Stephanie agrees to help. But their actions have unforeseen consequences, and if there's any chance to make things right, Stephanie and Diana must put their differences aside. (taken from Goodreads)
Thoughts:While I really enjoyed this story I couldn't help but be disappointed. There were 3 cuss words (h*ll, S*ck and P*ss), mention of a bottle of wine between the parents (I realize some Christians do drink and I have no problem with them but...well you'll see in a minute), and although Christianity and the Church/Jesus were mentioned a couple times it wasn't exactly mentioned with belief. There is one part where one of the characters comments on how she was brave and how her youth leader at church would it was God. Oh well she supposes it might have been him. It all seemed fake. And this was published by Zonderkidz. I am really disappointed. I wasn't sure how the language got in there or what. But I'm not very happy at all. I was ready to recommend it to my little sister after a year or two. Not so much now. Not without covering up a couple things. However apart from that I had no problems with this book, it was a great story about sisters, family, and friendship. And I enjoyed reading it. I just was really disappointed with what I mentioned. I expect Christian books to be clean. If this was a secular book published by a secular publisher then I might be talking about how clean it was. And how I liked it. I just think that some things could be improved upon here. Apart and overall, I did like this book pretty much. I'll probably (if they get it at the library) read the next book. The characters were nice as well. I would recommend to teen-tween girls.
Stars:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)