Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Matter Of Trust

A Matter Of Trust by Lis Wiehl. 
A Mia Quinn Mystery. (book three I believe...)
Book description:When life is murder, who can you trust?
One minute Mia Quinn is in her basement, chatting on the phone with a colleague at the prosecutor’s office. The next minute there’s a gunshot over the line, and Mia listens in horror as her colleague and friend Colleen bleeds to death.

Mia’s a natural for heading up the murder investigation, but these days she has all she can do to hold her life together. As a new widow with a pile of debts, a troubled teenaged son, and a four-year-old who wakes up screaming at night, she needs more time with her family, not less—and working Colleen’s case will be especially demanding. But Colleen was her friend, and she needs to keep her job. So she reluctantly teams up with detective Charlie Carlson to investigate Colleen’s death. But the deeper they dig, the more complications unfold—even the unsettling possibility that someone may be coming after her.

Lis Wiehl’s signature plot twists and relatable characters shine in this absorbing series debut . . . with an intriguing cameo from her best-selling Triple Threat series.

Objectionable:Mention of terrible crimes (rape, murder and other such), bullying (cyber & physical) and also bullying because a boy was different and mean things were done and he was called gay. Murder, suicide, and killing. Shooting, stealing, some drinking, divorce, some other brief mentions of things like a former stripper, dating sites, accidents, secrets, smoking and other.

Thoughts:This is a thrilling mystery that kept me turning pages :) This book was like a detective or police show (whatever you call them) in the form of a book. Which I prefer actually *winks* I've read only one other book by the author, which I did like, but this one I liked better. I suppose the excitement levels were about the same, but I connected with this one more. Mia Quinn is on the phone with a fellow prosecutor and friend when her friend is shot. Her murder may be linked to a previous murder 4 years earlier. Mia takes the case while juggling financial and family troubles. And to add another item to her teetering platter, she is working with a police detective who is known for breaking rules and being reckless. He coast her a case at the beginning of her career. And now if she wants to find out who murdered her friend she will have to work with them him.

This book was really exciting and educational at the same time. I love a book where I can learn things, but it's still a great book. This was one of those. You get familiar with the job of a prosecutor and what goes on in their life. Or something close to the truth. This is not only a fun read, you can learn something from it! The whole prosecutor side is done very professionally and I could tell it had been researched (or lived, on the author bio I think it mentioned that the author had been a prosecutor...). The writing was very good as well, there were only a couple times where I found something a little "off". The mystery is great, I had no idea who was the killer. There are many twists and turns in this plot and this book is very exciting. I would recommend to YA+ (16?) readers as this is an adult (Christian) book and there are a couple things that would be disturbing to younger readers from the violence or to some of the brief content mentions. overall, this was a great book that I would be happy to reread again sometime. And I cannot wait for the next book in this series :D
Characters:I really liked Mia and I thought she was a good, strong character. She loved her family and struggled to make things work sometimes, but she always tried. She was also pretty smart!! Gabe, her son, was also a character that I liked and thought was very well written. He had some great scenes with Mia and they were going through the whole mother/teen conflict and was struggling with some of his own stuff. A character that we never get to meet but hear a lot about was a boy who was bullied and called gay. He sounded so sweet and like a great kid. He was one of the most touching characters. I liked Charlie and thought he was a little bit of a rogue...with a past that made him touchy. He's mysterious and I want to learn more about him. Overall I really liked all the characters in this book :D Mia was my favorite though.
Cover:I like the colors and the hair. I think it is really mysterious how she is hiding the gun :D  I really like it!
Stars:4
Love, Sierra
I review for BookSneeze®
  I was given a copy of this book by the publisher and the views I've expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to start reading more mysteries, so this sounds great :) I love exciting stories. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)