Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Chasing Jupiter

Chasing Jupiter by Rachel Coker. 
Chasing Jupiter  -     
        By: Rachel Coker
    
Visit her blog here. Buy or check out the book on amazon.
 And here's a link to Rachel answering some questions about Chasing Jupiter.

Book description:Scarlett Blaine’s life in 1960s Georgia isn’t always easy, especially given her parents’ financial struggles and the fights surrounding her sister Juli’s hippie lifestyle. Then there’s her brother, Cliff. While Scarlett loves him more than anything, there’s no denying his unique behavior leaves Cliff misunderstood and left out. So when he wishes for a rocket to Jupiter, Scarlett agrees to make it happen, no matter how crazy the idea might be. Raising the rocket money means baking pies, and the farmer’s son, Frank, agrees to provide the peaches if Scarlett will help him talk to Juli. The problem is, Scarlett really enjoys her time with Frank, and finds herself wondering if, someday, they could be more than friends. Just as she thinks everything might be going her way, Cliff suffers an accident that not only affects the rocket plans, but shakes Scarlett’s view of God. As the summer comes to an end, Scarlett must find a way to regain what she’s lost, but also fulfill a promise to launch her brother’s dream.


Objectionable:Some injuries, a bad fall, yelling/arguments, running away from home, liking/loving someone, kinda stealing, possibly a mention of smoking.


 Thoughts:Nicely done Rachel! Although it was shorter than Interrupted, Chasing Jupiter was just as lovely and enjoyable as Rachel's first book. In my opinion this was a sweet book that really touched me. It's a story about a girl who will do anything to help her younger "misunderstood" (and at that time undiagnosed autistic) brother Cliff. Both of Rachel's book were well written for someone her age, which I don't mean in any negative way, really. She is young and in several parts slight flaws can be found, but really she is a great writer who is only getting better! The main flaw that I found in this book was that the epilogue was a bit rushed and felt it.


But moving past the slightly not so great to the great. I really enjoyed this book. You get a warm, yes Georgia southern feel to this book that my friend mentioned reminded her of the movie/book "The Help" Some scenes, like Scarlett visiting Ms. Greene did have a "Help" feel to them. One of my favorite scenes was with Ms.Greene...the hilarious chicken scene :D Another scene that was simply tragic, beautiful and poignant is when Scarlett and Frank finish the rocket and show Cliff. I was crying in that scene. Not only is this  a wonderful story about family, it is also a love story, a southern story and one with a lighthearted character who is trying to figure out where she belongs and how she can make everything turn out right. Maybe it's the size of the book or the fact that it is set in the south, but I also got a Joan Bauer feel from this book (I've only read 3 of Ms.Bauer's books however). I would recommend to girls 12+ who are looking for a sweet southern story that might just make you cry.
Characters: I really liked Cliff he was sweet and cute. The things he said made me smile :) Scarlett was maybe a bit of everybody in her search for finding the right way. The one way she could make everything come together. I really liked how she came through for her family but still was shown crying and asking for help because of  how she felt they were being torn apart. Frank was a good character, even though he should have realized some thing sooner...  Speaking of characters, check out this post Rachel did about who she would cast for the characters if Chasing Jupiter was turned into a movie!
Cover:I really like it and the colors are perfect! What with the peaches being a big part of the story, the orange and creamy orange shades are a nice touch.
Stars:4.5 
And here is a video of Rachel talking about Chasing Jupiter and where she got the idea :)
 
 Make sure you check out the other stops on the tour as well!
ADD Librarian • Becoming More Like YouBook Nook 4 You • Blooming with BooksBookworm Reading  • Christian Book Review BlogCTF DevourerGillian AdamsJill Williamson • Labor Not in Vain • My Story ShelfRachelle Rea • The Ramblings of a Young AuthorA Slightly Nerdy BookwormShadow Writer World • Surrendering All of MeWorthy2Read

Thanks to Team Novel Teen for sending me a copy :D
Team Novel Teen is a group of bloggers dedicated to spreading the word about clean teen fiction. Check out other posts about Chasing Jupiter by Rachel Coker by clicking on the links above, and click here for more information about Team Novel Teen.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, that chicken scene WAS hilarious!

    And this book definitely had that sweet Southern feel to it. I enjoyed that. :)

    Beautiful blog, Sierra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The southern feel, being from the south myself, was one of my favorite parts of the story :) Thank you Rachelle!

      Delete
  2. I also cried at the end. I thought Cliff's knock-knock jokes were funny too. When I was reading it, I also got the same feelings for this one as I did another book but that one was The Summer of the Swans. Mostly just had these feelings at the beginning because they are different books but they are both great. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only one :P Cliff was too cute! Really? I'll have to check out that book, as I really liked this one :)

      Delete
    2. Do so. It is really good and moving. You can even read a review of it on my blog if you want. It's one of my early one so it isn't the best review I ever wrote.

      Delete
    3. I'll try to find it, for sure. And I totally get the whole "don't look at my first reviews" thing. I wince at mine :P

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I should go back and edit it. Make it seem I was a good reviewer even back then. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yay! Glad you reviewed this one, Sierra. There was so much to be admired about this story. Rachel had an excellent handle on how this story needed to be told. In future, I'll certainly be looking forward to her books.

    I loved those little 'The Help' reflections. Those scenes were some of the best! And the cover? Gosh, it's just lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for more from here, definitely!
      I know! *squeals* I adore the cover :)

      Delete
  4. I didn't cry but I came close. Loved the cover too! Didn't recognize "the Help" reflections at the time, but you are right . . .

    A sweet read for teens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me I was definitely crying :P Glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  5. I loved Interrupted, so I'm really excited to read this one. The character sound so amazing and I also really like the cover :) Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Interrupted too, I really hope you enjoy this one too! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. I loved Franks den of animals. Great review! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)