Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. Second book in the Lunar Chronicles series.
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Book description: This is not the fairytale you remember.

But it’s one you won’t forget.


Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner. (taken from Goodreads)


Objectionable:A couple kisses, attraction, hint of Grandparents not being married, escaping prison, magic of sorts, stealing, manipulation. Torture, kidnapping, attacks where many are killed, injuries, fights and cage/street fights. Language was a 1.

Thoughts:So here we have the much anticipated sequel to Marissa Meyer's thrilling debut, Cinder. Did it live up to the expectations, was it even better than Cinder? Yes it was great. I'm not sure how it compares to Cinder...one is probably winning by a nose but I'm not sure who/which. They are both great books! Did Scarlet carry on the story, the excitement and the plot well? Yes, it was beautifully done. The story and mystery of the Princess, the Lunars and now Scarlet's Grandma was very interesting. Although some things are easy to guess others did surprise me. The addition of Wolf was a great one and I felt he and Scarlet fit right into the story. A story that is getting more exciting and complicated by the book :P

This is such a unique series! It's a mix of fantasy, romance, science fiction, supernatural/paranormal (werewolf type creatures in Scarlet) and retelling/fairy tale all twisted into one great adventure.  This is truly a great series that I would definitely recommend. Overall I really enjoyed this book and I cannot wait for the next one, releasing next spring :) I would recommend to YA+ girls. (although I suppose some guys might like it as well. I didn't think he would but my dad really liked Cinder!)
Characters:I loved Scarlet. She was loyal to her family (the ones that counted) and was determined to do whatever it took to find her Grandmother. She was brave and kick butt but still had a tender side. Scarlet, Kai, Cinder or Wolf was my favorite character. There were some great ones so it's hard to choose :) kai of course is sweet and responsible. Cinder is the star of the story kinda and is beating unthinkable odds and opposition. Wolf is a mystery but becomes a really sweet guy who needs a little help. Plus the werewolfy thing is just kinda cool when it's not used for evil.  I did also like Iko. But not Caswell Thorne. He just wasn't that attractive as a character or a "bad boy" and was kinda a jerk. And to those who say (because I saw one review that did) that Caswell is like Han Solo? No way. Han is way nicer, sweeter and rogue-like. Caswell's addition was probably the only thing that I didn't like about this book.
Cover:It's nice. I like the hair+cape+mist combination. And the fonts are good. I'm excited to see what Cress's cover will look like now :D
Stars:5
Love, Sierra

7 comments:

  1. Still have to read Cinder but I cannot wait for either one of these - they sound/look so good. Plus many girls - including you - have recommended them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to get around to reading both of them really soon :) I would definitely recommend them!

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear about a sequel which is just as great as the first. I still need to read Cinder BUT I am planning to by May because the author is coming to town. I hope I love them as much as you! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read this. It's on reserve at the library. Thanks for the great review, which is making me want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to get to both Scarlet and Cinder soon. I've heard nothing but good things about both, so I'm so glad you enjoyed Scarlet. Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one looks good & I see you rated it five...might give it a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made sure to read this review when I was done with the book! :) This was an awesome book! I think it was better than the first.

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)