Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Avenger

 Avenger by Heather Burch. Third and final book in the Halfings series.
Avenger (Halflings, #3)
Book description:Sometimes the Truth Comes with a Price
Nikki knew Damon Vessler would not let his prized creation go easily---she simply never imagined the lengths he'd go to get her back into his clutches, and turn Nikki's heart toward darkness.
A Seeker at her heels, trained on her blood, Nikki flees with Raven alongside her for protection, while Mace and the other Halflings fight the battle that has erupted on earth. But even as the two boys she loves fight for her, she knows the battle will be hers to win. Determined to uncover the secrets of her past, and exactly how she fits into Vessler's twisted plans, Nikki sets off on her own, and soon discovers facing hellacious beasts is nothing compared to the decision she will need to make. One that could change not only the war, and her relationship with Mace and Raven, but her future with the Throne.

Wow. I was very very surprised by this book. I hadn't liked and connected with the first two that much. And the romance, in the first mostly, felt fleshly to me. And like Nikki was playing both guys. The second book was more interesting although I didn't like the ending a ton. (taken from Goodreads)
 Objectionable:There are some violent battles and injuries. A couple kisses and angels and demons portrayed in the Christian view.

Thoughts:
Wow. I was very very surprised by this book. I hadn't liked and connected with the first two that much. And the romance, in the first mostly, felt fleshly to me. And like Nikki was playing both guys. The second book was more interesting although I didn't like the ending a ton.
Now in this book we find Nikki with Mace although Raven is still trying to change her mind. Right off the bat the adventure starts with a mysterious, unbeatable, terrible creature called a seeker coming after Nikki. Raven takes her and they flee all around trying to escape and find a way to beat the seeker. From there they have battles that need to be fought, physically and spiritually. And the final battle as well, Nikki's grandfather is after what Nikki can give him. An army. He is determined to change her and then create "darklings" with her DNA.

The pros:I really, really liked it. I connected with it, I felt like the characters and everything flowed a lot better and despite the dark elements and the fears the book didn't feel dark. I want to be happy when I'm reading a book. And there was faith and hope in this book as well that really shone through. The ending was perfect and there was a really cool part where the seeker was warded off by prayer warriors.


I really liked Raven's character, Mace and Nikki. And several of the b characters as well. The three main characters really seemed to have matured and I was really happy and proud of how they ended up :) I was definitely smiling in several scenes and with several lines. I couldn't have been more surprised with how happy I was with really everything in this book! It was the perfect ending. One that was mysterious, happy and hopefully a reader pleaser for everyone.

Cons:
The only problem that I had with this book was that at one point a couple characters are captured and beat up. When the author is focusing on them I couldn't help but feel that the beatings seemed to stretch over a longer period of time than for the other characters who were wondering where they were. It seemed like the beatings lasted over a couple days when "really" it was only a couple of hours or a morning.

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised and I would recommend this book to several of my friends! The ending I felt really connected to God (it's this Jesus thing at the end...so beautiful) and uplifted! I really enjoyed this book and would recommend to YA girls who are looking for some clean, exciting paranormal/supernatural romance and adventure :)
Cover:My favorite or second favorite. I really like the purple and the model's (a Sierra too!) hair.
Love, Sierra

4 comments:

  1. I have all the books in this trilogy, and I still have to read Guardian and Avenger. They both sound great! The ending for Avenger sounds so amazing and I'm glad it's a happy one. Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's sad! I hope you get around to them and yes, the ending was a great one! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to reading this series at some point. It should be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first was a little off, for me, but the third made up for it :)

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)