Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Persuasion

 Persuasion by Jane Austen.
Persuasion
 Book description:Superb novel, autumnal and mellow in tone, concerns the lives and loves of the Elliot family and their friends and relatives, in particular the thwarted romance between Anne Elliot (Austen's sweetest, most appealing heroine) and Captain Frederick Wentworth. Finely drawn characters, gentle satire and wonderful recreation of genteel life in the English countryside. (taken from Goodreads)

Objectionable:There was really nothing past an accident that caused injury.
Thoughts:I'm doing British Lit. this year and of course Jane Austen was on my list. She is an amazing author that practically puts the C in Classics :) I had a copy of Persuasion (I own nearly all of Austen's books, I think I might be missing one or two...) but had never gotten around to reading it. Until now. Persuasion is the story of Anne Elliot who is overlooked by her father and sister and has had some trouble with love. She's 28 and still not married! Through the events of this books she encounters new acquaintances, accidents, a past love who is bitter because she was persuaded to leave him, and much more.

Pros:Austen did a wonderful job with her books. Her characters bloom and are loveable. They're unique and an inch away from being real it seems. Anne was a great character and I REALLY liked her a lot. Captain Wentworth was nice and I liked him. And there were others that I liked and the others that I loathed. I wish I could pull of the writing and characters as well as Austen has, they're brilliant. Although this probably isn't as well known as Emma or Pride & Prejudice (I had no idea what it was about), this book is just about as interesting, really, and certainly as enjoyable. Although not very much happens it's still an exciting book in terms of relationships. And the occasional surprise or accident or death.

Cons:The language can be hard to understand for some although I didn't feel that hindered by it. And at times it can be a struggle to get rolling and it can seem just a bit dull before picking up. The beginning was a little hard for me, but I got interested pretty quickly.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and now that I know the story I want to see a movie version :) The characters and writing were great and I am so jealous :P
Rating:4 stars
Love, Sierra

8 comments:

  1. I love Jane Austen!! I'll be taking British Lit the year after next. Next year I'm taking American Lit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Next year I'm doing European Lit. 1

      Delete
  2. I love Persuasion. I agree about the beginning but once you become in sync with it, it is easier to read and a lot more interesting.

    Movie Wise - the 1995 BBC Movie adaptation, with Ciaran Hinds, is the closest to the book.

    The 2007 version with Rupert Henry-Jones is not true to the book BUT I still like a lot. Captain Wentworth is hot!

    Happy watching!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll definitely have to pick those up from the library and watch them while the book is still fresh in my mind :)

      Delete
  3. I have not read any Jane Austen novels. *gasp* I know! I think the language thing you mentioned is primarily why. But I've been really interested in this particular book since I've read For Darkness Shows the Stars. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness!! I hope that you are able to enjoy them sometime though :) Oh is it a retelling?

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful cover. I love Jane Austen. She's one of my favorite authors. And that cover. WOw. Just lovely.

    Just found your blog. Nice. I will visit again.

    Andreea from http://themoonlitbookshelf.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes I love Austen and the cover too :)

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)