Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Immortal Rules

  The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. The first book in the Blood of Eden series.

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)Book description:To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for…again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins. (taken from Goodreads)


Objectionable:Language was a 5++ (101 words...) but it didn't really bother me that much. There was the normal gross vampire stuff like drinking blood and killing the occasional human (bad guys) there were some fights and gore. Rabid monsters and lots of threatening (it's a dangerous world). So there is some gruesome stuff, but this is still a good book. And other than violence and language it was clean.

Thoughts:I'm not one to read a bunch of vampire books because I think they're stereotypical. So I put off reading this book way longer than I should have. I've read The Iron Fey series and loved it so so much, but didn't read this book. Until now. And I loved this book too! I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I did and I certainly didn't expect it to be as dystopian as it was. Creepy, dark, falling skyscrapers in ruins of formerly great cities...yay :) I get an overall gray and rusty picture of the cities. Very nice setting and description. Definitely added points in my book. Like it wasn't strictly vampire-y. It was but it wasn't. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it isn't one of those stereotypical vampire books! For one thing Allie/Allison, the main character, doesn't totally act like a vampire. I mean yeah she drinks blood, can't be out in the day light...all the normal vampire things, but she still thinks like a human. She doesn't think of the humans as food, but as people. And she doesn't really want to hurt them. I say it's pretty simple: just drink blood from the bad guys, so long as it doesn't taste bad, and then hopefully you won't have to ever drink the blood of the your friends. Sadly it doesn't work that way :/

 Second point, humans are still in the book A LOT and aren't there just for food either. There are some humans that are pretty important in the story. Zeke plays a main part and he's a really sweet guy :) But not totally sweet, still kick butt. He and Kannin and Allie were my favorites. And yeah 2 are vampires, but there are other human characters, I just didn't like them that much :/ (yeah I'm Team Vampire) Allie is a great main character and I cannot wait to find out what happens in the second book! I really liked the ending and how Allie is kinda finding a balance to being a vampire who still is friends with humans. Overall, this is a really exciting book that I was surprised by (I really shouldn't have been, it's one of my favorite authors after all!) and really enjoyed. I really liked this book and can't wait for the second!

Characters: Like I said, Zeke was a cutie who was so sweet but then scary good at fighting :) Allie was a strong character and I loved her! I really connected and felt bad for what she was going through. She handled it all really well and was so...strong when she wanted to be. Like indestructible strong :) I loved that. Kannin was also a great character and I loved that he was trying to fix things. Plus he was really sorry and HAD suffered for his mistake. Just saying, in his defense and all. Overall, the characters that I liked where really well done and connectible :)
Cover:I read it under the old cover, which I kinda like more. There are several times where Allie cries blood and I thought it was kinda cool. And creepy :) But I like this one too, even if I prefer the other one. 
Stars:4
Love, Sierra
P.S. Just realized that I haven't reviewed most of The Iron Fey series...oops. I'll get around to doing that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)