Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. First book in the Wicked Lovely series.
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)Book Description:Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost — regardless of her plans or desires.


Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale. (taken from Goodreads)


Objectionable:Some talk/mention/joke of sex or subtle hints surrounding it dropped throughout the book here and there. Ash and Seth sleep together (briefly mentioned, several pages before, talking about it. And a paragraph thinking about it maybe? Nothing "shown"), there are injuries, several deaths and fey magic. A little drinking and the was language a 4.5 (25 words and one was the f word)

Thoughts:I'm not entirely sure why I picked up this book. I saw it at the library, had wanted to read something by this author at some point and I liked the cover. So I got interested and I'm pretty glad I did!
This book is about Ash (or Aislinn) who has been able to see faeries her whole life. She's learned to ignore them, hard as that is. They can never know that she is able to see them. However lately two (a boy and a girl) have been following her. And she doesn't know why. One day the boy puts on glamor and comes to hit on her! She has to figure out what is going on. Without letting her cautious grandmother find out. So she confides in Seth, the guy she really likes but doesn't think likes her. Together they research but don't find anything new. Meanwhile Keenan thinks he has finally found his Summer Queen. The girl who will be able to overcome the Winter Queen's (his mother) cold and help him regain his full power as the Summer King. But first he has to convince her. Usually the girls don't run away from him, but Ash is.Keenan needs to convince Ash to agree to help him and beat the Winter Queen or else terrible things will happen. But she is extremely wary of him. Why? Ash doesn't know what Keenan is up to but she knows that she can't trust the faeries. Despite being a little attracted to him.

Pros:The story overall. I loved the faerie stuff because I love mythology and fairy tales. This is a big girl fairy tale if I need to go there because this isn't Tinkerbell and little tiny fairies. These are faeries. They're bloody, dangerous and full sized. So loved that part. I also really liked the characters! Keenan I didn't like at first and thought he was a jerk. But by the end of the book I liked him more and could sympathize...kinda. Seth and Ash were so cute together and I really loved the both of them. Seth is just amazing and sweet! Ash was a strong (but not too strong) character and I found it easy to relate and like her her. The Winter Queen was creepy and evil (i.e.perfect villain) and Donia was a mysterious character that I instantly wanted to be happy. And the ending was perfect. Just the way I wanted without realizing it and, plus the characters were happy and there was certainly some room left for adventure. I will be picking up the next book soon.

Cons:There weren't that many. I mean I didn't like Keenan that much and how he just kept looking for girls to be his Queen and then kinda discarding them. :/ Apart from that and the content, which can be ignored, I liked pretty much everything else.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and the characters! I loved all the faery stuff and would recommend to 15+ girls who like fey, adventure, and romance.
Cover:I love the frosted flower, the fonts and the hues. I love the blue and light pink mixed with light green and black. It's really a pretty cover!!
Stars:3.7
Love, Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)