Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Born Wicked

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood. The first book in the Cahill Witches series.
Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.


Thoughts: I picked up this book because I had read some reviews, read a couple chapters in a sampler and was interested. Although I didn't exactly know what to expect, I was happily surprised!
Cate Cahill and her sisters (Maura and Tess) are witches. Since their mom died, making Cate promise to watch over her sisters, Cate has been trying and trying to keep their powers hidden. If not the Brothers would discover them and have them sent away! They are constantly lecturing the girls about witches, how dangerous they are, how wrong they are, and how wicked they are.
But several things happen to bring about a change to what the Cahill sisters have always known. First they get a governess. Then Cate's old childhood friend returns, as more than a friend. Two popular girls have started taking an interest in Cate now that their governess has started to put them out as Cate could not. After all, Cate isn't her mother and hasn't had her for a good while. Slowly secrets spill out, hopefully into the right ears.

Pros:This book was set so perfectly! I didn't realize in the sampler, though I might should have, but this book is set in nearly 1900s. It's about 1890 I think. The gardens, the library, the house that they live in...a book-keeper's shop and a whole little community of teas and visitings and coming outs. It was so interesting and lovely :) I love the time period and it was really charming and had a slightly gothic feel. I just loved the characters. Cate was sweet and determined to protect her sisters as she promised her mother. Even if it means giving up love and her own life. Tess is a sweet little girl and I just loved her!! I also really liked the owner of the bookshop who was Finn's mom. Finn is the girls new gardener and I just loved him :) He was so nice and a booklover :) There are some great scenes with him *winks*

Cons:Apart from the content I really didn't have any problems with this book. I really liked it and enjoyed it!! Content wise there were 8 cuss words, magic and mind magic, brief violence like slapping, some kissing and mention of unnatural women who like other women (also Cate walks in on her sister kissing another women, she is shocked but accepting and it's very brief).

Overall, I really liked this book and just am dying for the next book!! (which comes out in June) I would recommend to teen girls (14+) who like magic, somewhat steampunk (not entirely) and a slightly romantic adventure.
Rating:4 stars
Love, Sierra

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this! I've been thinking of checking out, myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really liked it and I thought it was really great :D

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)