Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
Frankenstein
Book description: Frankenstein, loved by many decades of readers and praised by such eminent literary critics as Harold Bloom, seems hardly to need a recommendation. If you haven't read it recently, though, you may not remember the sweeping force of the prose, the grotesque, surreal imagery, and the multilayered doppelgänger themes of Mary Shelley's masterpiece. (taken from Goodreads)

Objectionable:There were some deaths/murders, perhaps a bad word or two and the fact that Victor created a monster or sorts.

Thoughts: So I'm doing British Lit. this year. I had gotten this book at a local book/curriculum store for free after we had a purchase of over 450 I believe. I picked Frankenstein because I was currently reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde and I was in a bit of a "monster" mood. That was in perhaps February and I've now finally gotten around to reading it! Victor Frankenstein goes off to university (or other) with plans of studying science. He's quite smart and digs really deep into ideas and theories that he actually creates something! A terrible creature that frightens him so, well, he leaves! He can't stand to look at it. His friend finds him ill and in much sorrow and he slowly nurses him back to health. Frankenstein is much recovered, but not fully because he knows what he has created. He fears that it will find him. He returns home to his family only to be greeted with the news that his younger brother, a child, was killed! He catches a glimpse of his creature and is sure that it was his doing. He is broken again and resolves to find his monster and stop him.

Pros:The moral of the story, if one can be decided upon. Who is the good guy? Can you pity the creature despite the wrongs it did? Can you be totally for Victor when he was wrong in many ways as well? Should he have helped his creation more? There seems to be no main answer until you dig deeply into yourself. Perhaps that was the author's intent. The story is interesting and the characters, although brief some were, I really liked and felt like they were written well. It's good book. It's interesting to see the foundation of the Frankenstein you know. But then you get to thinking who really was Frankenstein. It's rather a mystery.

Cons:This book is slow in some parts and definitely depressing in others. And hard to understand because of the writing, put all together some might not be able to get through this book. I had some troubles myself.

Overall, I liked that this book made me think. The story is sad and interesting and I did enjoy it. But it was certainly a bit hard to get through :/
Rating:3 stars
Love, Sierra

2 comments:

  1. Another classic I've never read. And I would never guess the book with that cover. I'm not so good with slowness because I already read slow so I don't think I'd do well here. :( I'm glad you did enjoy overall though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I was a little surprised and intrigued by the cover. I wasn't sure who it was. Yes, I struggled a bit to get through :/

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)