Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling. The first book in the Harry Potter series.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Harry Potter has never played a sport while flying on a broomstick. He's never worn a Cloak of Invisibility, befriended a giant, or helped hatch a dragon. All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny cupboard under the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in ten years.

But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to a wonderful place he never dreamed existed. There he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic around every corner, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him... if Harry can survive the encounter.


Thoughts:I picked up this book because I was finally being allowed to read it (long story) and I had heard so many wonderful things about it! Harry Potter is a legend. So I was dying to get started.
Harry Potter is an orphan who has been taken in by his Muggle (or normal) aunt and her family. His parents were killed by a dark wizard called Voldemort, who also tried to kill Harry. Only he couldn't! Everyone was rejoicing because Voldemort left after the attempt to kill Harry...but Harry never knew he was a famous hero. Until he is suddenly plunged into a life of magic and wonder when he excepted into Hogwarts.  He doesn't know anything about the magical world but is learning quickly. He makes friends and some enemies and is learning a lot. However there something being guarded at Hogwarts. And Harry and his friends think someone is after whatever it is. So they try to figure out what that thing is and how to get to it before the bad guy.

Pros:The writing is brilliant. In the characters, plot, and in the little things that the author uses to help define and express the characters. It's a charming book that is fun and mature all at the same time. I love the setting and basically everything about this book. I could go on and on about the characters I love (Ron, Harry, Ron's twin brothers, Hermione, and Hagrid and all the others!) and also on the plot that keeps you guessing but totally surprises you in the end!

Cons:I really don't think there is anything at all. The book is nice and clean, a bit of violence and one cuss word and that's about it. Rule breaking and magic of course too.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and just loved it! I've already gotten the second book and I can't wait to start it. Rowling has a wonderful writing style that is just lovely. I would recommend to teens and tweens and adults. It's great for almost any age!
Rating: 5 stars
Love, Sierra

7 comments:

  1. Eep! I love the Harry Potters! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked it Sierra!!! :) The second book is awesome too, I can't wait to see what you think of it! :)

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :) Haha, yes I am so super excited to start it :D

      Delete
  3. I just saw the movies for the first time, and my mom will let me read the books, but my dad isn't to sure of it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they tend to add stuff in the movies, I'd think the books would be better really. Anyhow, the writing is great and I hope you get to read them!

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)