Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Poison

Poison by Bridget Zinn.

Poison
Book description:Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon. (taken from Goodreads)


Objectionable:There is the scene in undergarments (shift) while crossing the river (see below), a couple (like seven) cuss words, one kiss, and some injuries.

Thoughts:This is such a fun book! First the cover drew me in. Then the description. Then the reviews that I read that were good ones. So I was looking forward to reading this book. I was prepared though, from one of the reviews, that this book was more lighthearted than the description let on. But knowing that going in didn't surprise and disappoint me like it might have others who didn't. Kyra is a potions master who has kinda fallen out of her usual company. She's a criminal at the moment. Because she tried to kill her best friend, the crown princess. But she missed. So now she's coming around to try again. Sadly she has to ask for help from a real criminal who gives her a pig to track down the princess. Right after Kyra falls into the river in her undergarments and is rescued by a guy named Fred who names her pig. Honestly! And he keeps popping up on her mission! Avoiding those who try to capture her, trying to find the princess, and denying growing feelings for Fred...ugh. Kyra's having an amazing adventure!

Pros:This book is so funny and just happy :) This adventure made me smile, the scenes that were so awkward made me laugh and I really liked the characters. Kyra just couldn't be evil and was a great MC, Fred was a funny dear, and the princess (whose name I'm to lazy to check) was just funny and great :) The plot was really well done and just well put together. I thought I had something figured out, but no! I got surprised like three times! With things I never would have guessed.

Cons:Although at the beginning I was a bit confused after the first couple chapters everything was clearer and making more sense. Otherwise I don't have any complaints!

Overall, this is a great fantasy adventure full of laughs and interesting twists! I would recommend to teen girls who like fantasy, romance, and some fun along the way.
Rating:4 stars.
Love, Sierra

4 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I don't read a lot of light-hearted books? lol This does sound super cute though and definitely one to keep in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no I get that. I read a lot of action/fantasy and not a whole lot are light-hearted. This one is really great though :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds super cute! I also love the cover and the characters seem great. Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! And I loved them too, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)