Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Storm

Storm by Evan Angler. The third book in the Swipe series.Visit the authors site.

Storm
Book description: In a future United States under the power of a charismatic leader, everyone gets the Mark at age thirteen. The Mark lets citizen shop, go to school, and even get medical care—without it, you are on your own. Few refuse to get the Mark. Those who do . . . disappear.
Logan Langly went in to get his Mark, but he backed out at the last minute. Ever since, he’s been on the run from government agents and on a quest to find his sister Lily, who disappeared when she went to get her Mark five years earlier. His journey leads him to befriend the Dust, a vast network of Markless individuals who dissent against the iron-grip rule of the government. Along the way to the capital to find Lily, the Dust receive some startling information from the Markless community, opening their eyes to the message of Christianity and warning that humanity is now entering the End of Days.
In Storm, Logan and his friends are the leaders of the Markless revolution. But while some Markless are fighting Chancellor Cylis’ army, the Dust is busy trying to find a cure for a horrible epidemic sweeping through the Marked. And it’s difficult for them to know who to trust, especially when they aren’t sure if Logan’s sister Lily, one of the commanders in Cylis’ army, is on their side or not. And all across the nation—and the world—the weather has become less stable and a storm is brewing that bigger than any of them could have ever imagined.


Thoughts:Coming into this book, what I thought was the final book in the Swipe series, I had a good many expectations. The first two had been very good books with solid plots, stunning twists and characters that I enjoyed. I expected the third to live up to what had gone on in the first book and to deliver the same, not to mention a good ending. The book delivered :D (coming into this review I thought it was the last book, turns out there is a book four coming later this year :P) Logan Langley has just escaped from the rumored Markless prison for Markless and flunkees of the Mark. He tried to rescue his sister, only to discover that she had been brainwashed and betrayed him. He has also learned about the terrible illness project titled Trumpet that is aimed to killing Marked people with a disease originally created to kill Markless people. He, Hailey, Erin and Logan set out to find the doctor who created the disease and see if she can help cure Erin, she has somehow caught it and they are scared that the illness will be activated into the population any day! They have to find some way to stop it, before it is too late. Also there is a drought over the entire country because he weather mill has been broken by sabotage. For some reason their leader has been asking people to plunge his country into this drought, it will kill them! As Logan's friends the Dust work to find their friends and cause general havoc amongst the secret-no-longer Marked police, called I.M.P.s. A storm is coming.

Pros:The characters are really great. Logan is a slightly above average kid who is fighting for what he believes is right. And he really is a good guy. Hailey and Erin are great girls characters that are strong and sure. But still totally girls in the emotional way, it's just that they happen to be great at causing riots and making plans and hacking computers. Seriously, they're cool. The Dust (a group of rebel, Markless kids) made me laugh, especially Tyler. I loved their pranks on the IMPs that were also geared toward the purpose of finding their friend. This is just a wonderful Dystopian/end times/adventure/exciting book for Tweens and young (or old) teens. This is definitely a book that I would recommend to my siblings and it's clean and Christian! The world is a cool dystopian one and the history of the broken ending world is one that I enjoyed hearing about. I really liked reading the description and loved several of the settings that occurred in this series. The plot kept rolling and I was definitely surprised by several things that came up. Mainly the ending and a couple other things along the way. Although some I did suspect the "big reveal" was still a surprise to me. Sorta. I could kinda see how perfect it would end up and then it kinda did...well it's hard to explain. ending was left a little open, a little mysterious (okay a lot) and was just about perfect. Also, I loved how the book Swipe was read by the characters and mentioned, I really like how the author "lived" in that world and "was running too". It's cool :D

Cons:The ending seemed a little like a spin off of Jesus :/ I didn't like or agree with that part of the ending and otherwise I had no problems with this book. Content wise there was one use of suck, some brief violence of riots, arrests, attacks, the death of many Marked citizens due to the illness and torture of sorts. (like animated/computer game type torture :P)
Overall, this was a great ending to a very exciting book and it definitely lived up to the other books in the series. I really love this series. I liked the book a whole lot and I just loved the ending. Mr.Angler did a good job, just don't let anyone know it was him *winks*  And the book was interesting and a page turner :) I would definitely recommend this series to young Christians teens/tweens and girls and guys who love adventure, are just getting into dystopian type genres and are looking for an exciting, clean series to enjoy!
Rating:4 stars
Love, Sierra
I received a free copy through Team Novel Teen and the publisher. 
Team Novel Teen is a group of bloggers dedicated to spreading the word about clean teen fiction. Check out other posts about Storm by Evan Angler by clicking on the links above, and click here for more information about Team Novel Teen.

19 comments:

  1. This book sounds good! I'm going to have to definitely check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it if you are able to read it! :)

      Delete
  2. Good job on the book review, Sierra! Hmmm I didn't really notice any "spin off's of Jesus." I'll have to think about that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I posted my comment, I thought about it -- maybe she means that scene where Lily took Logan before the crowd and asked whether to punish him or not. Guess that scene could be a parallel to Jesus & Pilate.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is the scene I was talking about. I guess I should have specified more! To me it seemed a little odd that it was so close as the rest of the situation had basically nothing to do with it. (and I can hardly think of Logan as a "Jesus" even though I really like him) Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, it does look like you-know-who will make a comeback and people will think he came back from the dead. Which is weird, because I know that character isn't a bad guy. So the parallel there was strange. Wonder where he'll go with it... Good job on this review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm definitely interested to see where it will go... Angler is really talented though!

      Delete
  4. It was good and definitely delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review -- don't understand what you mean by "spin offs of Jesus" I'll have to check back and see what others say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good review -- I didn't notice any spinoffs either. Oh, wait, did you mean that scene where Lily brought him before te crowd that similar to Jesus being brought out before the crowd by Pilate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes that was the part I meant, it seemed a little off.

      Delete
  7. Sierra, I didn't notice it either, but I wonder if she means the similarity between the scene where Lily brings out Logan before the crowd and ask them to judge him guilty or not, and the scene of Jesus being brought out by Pilate before the crowd).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the one!I'm sorry for not being clearer (oops)

      Delete
  8. Great review Sierra. You always give so much insight! I have to make sure I read books before I read your reviews. I know that's backwards, but I usually agree with what you say and I want to come to those same conclusions on my own...lol. That's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks!! Hehe, yes I always enjoy reading reviews more after I've read the book...which is a bit weird :P

      Delete
  9. Yes I meant that Lily and Logan to the crowd of markless was a whole lot like the Pilate scene. And that kinda made me mad/sad/weird feeling. Thanks for the comments, I'll try to reply better tomorrow, crazy day here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good review. I liked the pranks too. Those were fun. It was nice how the characters were dedicated to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes really liked the pranks! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)