Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Calling

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong. The second book in the Darkness Rising series.
 The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)
Book description:Maya Delaney's paw-print birthmark is the mark of what she truly is -a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly everyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it's only a matter of time before she's able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they're kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home.

In THE CALLING, the sizzling second book in the Darkness Rising trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong pumps up the romance, danger, and suspense that left readers of THE GATHERING clamoring for more. (taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:So this is the second book in the Darkness Rising trilogy. And this is the first book I read in the series, a long time ago. I didn't know that it was the second until after I had started reading :/ I read it a while back and now with the third book just coming out I got all three from my library and read or reread them all. And this book was just as good even though I remembered somethings, I didn't remember everything.
 Maya and her friends have just escaped their secluded home town from a wildfire that Maya suspects was set on purpose. As they were escaped from the forest she saw some people who looked like they might have been setting the fire and were acting very strange. And hostile. But she has bigger problems than a possibility with the fire and a definitely with being a skin-walker. Which is a supernatural power that she has which allows her to shape shift into a cougar.But right now isn't a good time to worry about all of that. She and the others are in a helicopter evacuating from Salmon Creek. Rafe is unconscious after inhaling a lot of smoke, possibly a good think because his sister was still in the town or the forest when they left. He would have stayed with her if he was awake. And just then they discover that the Mayor has been sedated. Probably by the pilot who starts acting strange. Daniel yells at him and the pilot is knocked unconscious. Only now...they're going to crash. And be somewhere in the woods. There are those who want to help them and those who want to capture them. Hopefully they'll be able to tell...

Pros:This makes a great reread and I liked it as much as I had reading it the first time. Even though I knew some of the things that were going to happen I still really enjoyed the book. The author has a style of writing that is fast paced and exciting. You really get into the story and the action, this book probably has the most action of all three. They are in the forest, dodging bad guys and trying to find a phone. Which is like really cool because they are fighting injury, capture, finding food and and just trying to survive. The characters are great, there is Nicole who find out may just be a jealous faker but we can't know for sure. She's taken. Sam is a mysterious girl who is a power force (she'll punch or yell at anyone when provoked) and she says she and Daniel have the same type of supernatural powers, being demon hunters. Rafe isn't really a huge part of this book. Due to an accident(ooh). Hayley is shown to be a good friend and someoen who deserves a second chance. Daniel is awesome, sweet, strong, and such a leader! Maya also gets to show off her cat skills in this book, the forest is kinda her domain and all. And she's a great character :)

Cons:There is maybe one teeny tiny part that is a tiny bit slow. Basically everything was fast paced and kept rolling very easily. So writing and plot wise I can't think of anything. There was very brief mention of someone being gay, the supernatural powers are a pretty big part too. There is shooting (tranquilizer darts and real bullets), injuries, they are evading capture (somewhat) mostly the entire book and language wise there was 76 words. And minor demons are briefly mentioned.
Overall, when I say this an exciting adventure like book, I'm not exaggerating! It's really exciting and it really pulls you in. The characters are ones that I like (love in a couple cases) and after reading this book I couldn't wait for the third. So good thing I already had it :P I would recommend to teen girls and maybe some guys, those who like action, adventure, and some shape-shifting and other such cool powers mixed in.
Rating:4 stars
Love, Sierra

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good!! Is it set in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was really enjoyable, and yet I wish more had happened overall plot-wise... from what I remember they were basically just running around the forest the whole time, and that got to be a bit much. I think I'll need to re-read the first two books, because I still have The Rising siting here waiting for me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there was a bit of running about in the woods, the ending and the whole "who do we trust" parts got me though. Yeah I reread both the first and second books when I got The Rising. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)