Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Touch Of Frost

Touch Of Frost by Jennifer Estep. The first book in the Mythos Academy series.
 Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)
Book description:My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died... (taken from Goodreads)

Objectionable:There was some rumors about sleeping with so and so, hookups, and who had done what, crude things. There are two scenes when Gwen watches and then hears two suspects making out, somewhat graphic. Mythology. Abusive step-dad mentioned, also a bit graphic (serious yucko). Death, some fighting, and injuries. Language was a 5 (45 words).

Thoughts: I picked up this book because I won the fourth book in a giveaway and so I wanted to start at the beginning. Like a rational person. And as it looked like a good series too :) A series about mythology with coo, intense covers? I'm in! So I grabbed the first book and started to enjoy the adventure. After her mother's death in a car accident Gwen is transferred to Mythos Academy, a strange place (even for Gwen) where myths are true and the students, even the geekiest of them, are able to kill. Because they have powers from their ancestors. Gwen is a nobody and a "gypsy girl" as she is called. She's called this because of her gypsy powers that she inherited from the women in her family. She can tell the feeling of a person by touching them and see things about the owner and what they were feeling by touching an object owned by that person. When a popular girl is murdered in the library, where Gwen discovered her, Gwen is the only one who digs deeper into her death. The students and teachers don't seem to be very affected by the death of Jasmine. They say students die all the time because of the "bad guys" they're fighting. Yeah right. So Gwen starts to research those who may have had something against Jasmine. And why she came to the library so late...something isn't right. She searches to discover what she can with some help from a sort of friend, Daphne. And she attracts the attention of a certain secretive Spartan with killer abs. Logan Quinn. But even the powerful students at Mythos fear him. So what is he doing hanging around her? Through all the rest, Gwen is still trying to figure out why she is at Mythos. What is so special about her?

Pros:Gwen. She was a great character and I really liked her. She was a hero and genuinely felt sorry fro Jasmine, although she might have been mean. She wants to help others and tries to. The plot was really good and interesting. Although I did guess one of the bigger reveals there were some things that surprised me. The mythology was great and there were several different...I don't know...sections? :P They mixed Indian, Greek, Norse and other mythological gods all together. It was really interesting. Daphne and Carson were so cute together and I loved how Gwen set them up. The cover was pretty cool and I really liked it :) Gave me a feel for the book even before I started reading. A mysterious and dangerous feeling :D This was also a pretty exciting book, I didn't get bored at all really! However...

Cons:There were several very, very few parts where I got just a bit bored. But overall I was kept interested. I did guess a slightly main plot twist and I thought it was a bit obvious. Logan was a little annoying at times. I didn't really like him because although he was helpful and at times nice, he was a jerk at other times.

Overall, I liked this book a lot! I really liked the mythology and can't wait to find out what will happen next :) I would recommend to teen girls 14/15 abouts who like mythology, some action, and some romance!
Rating:4 stars
Love, Sierra

1 comment:

  1. Really looking forward to reading this book. awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)