Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Eternity Cure

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa. The second book in the Blood Of Eden series.
The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)


Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.


Thoughts:*note* There are some spoilers to those who haven't read the first book yet*
After reading and seriously enjoying the first book (The Immortal Rules) in this series, Blood of Eden, I was looking forward to this sequel very, very much. Plus all the reviews I had read said it was great, amazing and scary good ending with a cliffhanger. The Immortal Rules was technically my first vampire book. I had read others with vampires but none solely about vampires. And this series really isn't a very vampire-y series. It's dystopian, romance, and vampires. And it's very good.
Allie has seen the group of humans looking for Eden safely there. Some people said it didn't exist, a safe haven for humans with no vampires. Which is why Allie had to leave. She proved herself to that little group by rescuing them from Jackal, her half brother, who was determined that the leader of the group knew the cure for Red Lung. She helped the others escape and tried to rescue the leader (whose name escapes me) from Jackal. In some ways she fails in some ways she wins. Either way the rest of the humans are at Eden. Safe. Now Allie travels to find her Sire. She had been having dreams or visions of him being tortured by a sadistic vampire who wants to make her Sire pay. Because he gave birth to the mutated version of Red Lung after sacrificing vampires to be tested upon. He technically created the Rabids. And a lot of other problems. But he's a good vampire...and Allie wants to rescue him before he fades away from the pain. Kanin saved her from death by turning her into a vampire. The least she can do is save him. Along the way friends pop-up and fade away. Old and new. And Allie still struggles to hold the monster side of her vampire nature inside. Because she might be a vampire but she still has a choice.

Pros:The overall picture I got from this book was a gray vampire city with danger around every corner. This would make a great movie! The characters...wow I loved them! Allie was still growing and becoming a non-monster vampire. Or still trying to not become a monster. She cared and was a strong character as well as a kick-butt heroine :D Zeke grew up some and was still as charming and wonderful as ever. His turning up was a great surprise and there were some great tense moments. Jackal was someone I actually found myself liking a bit because of his attitude. It was annoying and he was a jerk, but you could still laugh at him. And he does have a good side...sorta. Kanin is a great vampire, kinda a picture of the "good" vampires. Not that there are sides, but he's less of a monster than others. He's honorable and really feels sorry for what he has done. The plot kept me guessing and the ending is quite evil. Seriously making me die for the next book! The author is really talented and has given these books the ideal vampire setting for me. Dystopian/vampire. It totally works :) She keeps me flipping pages and I am so excited to see what happens next. I would definitely reread both this book and the first book. So basically I loved the characters, setting, and plot :D

Cons:There was some content. There was of course the whole vampire thing and several scenes with drinking human blood or killing humans (Allie doesn't kill anyone other than criminals). Violence otherwise included injuries, being tortured brutally, gory descriptions of injuries and illness, and killing. There were a couple kisses and Allie and Zeke sleep side-by-side when Allie is super tired and Zeke is pretty sick. There are also a couple times when they imply something about sex. Language wise there were 116 cuss words (3 were f). Apart from the content which didn't really distract or bother me, I had no complaints. All the scenes were great along with the plot that kept me guessing. The ending is really evil and hurts... But otherwise everything worked out and made sense.
Overall, I loved this book and I'm dying for the next one. The cliffhanger is evil and I'm dying. Seriously dying because I have to know, but at the same time I don't. It'll hurt and be shocking and be emotionally scarring I'm sure...but I want it so bad! I would recommend to teen girls (14-15+) who enjoy supernatural romance with great leading characters and a wonderful plot line. 
Rating:5 stars
Love, Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)