Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Obsidian Mirror

The Obsidian Mirror by Catherine Fisher. The first book in the Chronoptika series.

The Obsidian Mirror
 Jake's father disappears while working on mysterious experiments with the obsessive, reclusive Oberon Venn. Jake is convinced Venn has murdered him. But the truth he finds at the snow-bound Wintercombe Abbey is far stranger ... The experiments concerned a black mirror, which is a portal to both the past and the future. Venn is not alone in wanting to use its powers. Strangers begin gathering in and around Venn's estate: Sarah - a runaway, who appears out of nowhere and is clearly not what she says, Maskelyne - who claims the mirror was stolen from him in some past century. There are others, a product of the mirror's power to twist time. And a tribe of elemental beings surround this isolated estate, fey, cold, untrustworthy, and filled with hate for humans. But of them all, Jake is hell-bent on using the mirror to get to the truth. Whatever the cost, he must learn what really happened to his father.
Thoughts: Catherine Fisher is a pretty good author. I've read Incarceron and I have Sapphique (haven't read it yet) as well as her other series, Relic Master. I had liked Incarceron pretty well and the Relic Master series was interesting. However this book has proved to be my favorite yet!
Jake is convinced that his godfather (who shipped him off to a school in Switzerland) killed his father. Thus he gets himself expelled and sent home. Unfortunately a drama teacher accompanies him. When they arrive to the remote town where Wintercombe Abbey, Oberon Venn's home, is they find they are not entirely welcome and many secrets and mysteries are hidden in the Abbey.  Sarah has just arrived and she's being chased by a replicant and his wolf. She takes refuge in the abbey and is only allowed to stay if she helps Oberon with his experiments. By being the test subject to go through the mirror. But she already knows all about the mirror. That's why she's here. A tale of adventure, mystery and magic, these characters don't know all of what they're in for!

Pros:This book didn't slow down pretty much ever! There were maybe two spots but that was it. The rest was non-stop surprises, discoveries, and secrets. As well attacks, eavesdropping and such :D The first chapter certainly got me interested and the ending was really exciting as well. It makes me wish I had the next book...right now! The characters I all liked mostly well, there were some more and less than others. While they were good they weren't stunning, but I still liked them. This is a wonderful adventure from magic and fey to time travel and replicants from to much time travel being the hunters of time. The writing is really good, it kept me interested and as far as I can remember I thought everything was pretty clear and I don't think I got confused, although there were some complex things going on. As I said, my favorite from this author so far!

Cons:There were a few parts that were a bit confusing or slow but otherwise I didn't really have any problems. The characters weren't super good, but they were good enough. There was a bit of violence, time travel, fey, and language wise there were 21 curse words.
Overall, this was a really exciting and enjoyable book! I would recommend to teens who like fantasy, time travel and adventures. 
Rating: 4 stars
Love, Sierra

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I agree with you. The characters weren't as strong as I liked but the whole magical world and the plotting were great. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, the characters felt a little bland. But the plotting certainly was good! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been very interested in this before, but I'll definitely have to check it out now. The plot and writing both sound fantastic! Amazing review :)

    *Also, thanks so much for the recommendation for Against The Tide! It sounds awesome and I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the plot and writing were pretty good :D You are welcome, I hope you enjoy it if you pick it up :)

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)