Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Moon and More

 The Moon And More by Sarah Dessen.
The Moon and More
Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer.
3.7 stars.


Having read several of Sarah Dessen's other books and enjoying them quite a lot I was super excited to hear about her new book!! I couldn't wait to see how it turned out and started this book almost as soon as I got it.

Emaline works at the family business of beach house rentals. She does everything from complimentary welcome baskets, greeting and signing people in, getting items the renters ask for, and bringing them extra towels. She doesn't exactly love her job, but it is interesting. Plus she leaves for college in the fall, it's just the summer. She has everything, typical beachy boyfriend who is awesome, your average college plan and a great family. She just didn't know how much could change in one summer.

First comes the breakup and then the odd rebound with Theo, a guy who is working on a documentary. His boss is rude and bossy and they're in the priciest rental. At first he kept popping up but then after the breakup...he helped. And he's so different! Then her Father (biological dad) is back in town with her half brother. It's the first time she's seen him in a while and she's not sure how to act around him. Add that to common friend and family drama and everything seems to be different from how Emaline expected to spend her summer.

Pros:This is the perfect summer read and I mean perfect! It just has that beach feel too it. Like I said this was one I had been looking forward to for a while now and I was hoping for a good bit from it. Maybe to much. don't get me wrong, I did like this book a lot. It just didn't agree all the way with me. But you can read about that in the following section. What I did like was the characters, as usual Dessen has done a really great job on her characters! They stand out and speak for themselves :) I felt like I could totally picture them really easily. Emaline's job sounded so interesting! I wish we had gotten to see more of it but we did get to see a good deal, so I'm happy. Just all the people she must see every year, it just sounds fun :) I know it wouldn't be, but still. Haha. The plot is slower but still interesting and fun. This isn't a super deep book, it has it's moment but I would say it's pretty lighthearted.

Cons:I was bored a couple times and at some point between setting it down and then picking it back up to start reading again something changed in my head. And I really started to dislike Theo. And I was so right about him. I think the romance in this book was kinda conflicted...and it kinda made some parts of the books conflicted. I don't know. I was a little surprised by the ending, I wouldn't have expected it from the beginning or even middle of the book! But it was really just right :)
Content wise there is some cussing (36-ish words), kissing, some boy drama, and mention of having sex but there is no description. Having a baby out of wedlock and some drinking.

Overall, I liked this book and there were some things I liked over other things. The romance I didn't like as much. The setting and certain characters, yes! And it depends on the type of reader it is too, some parts were a little too slow for me. I would recommend to 15+ girls who enjoy a fun, beachy read and the contemporary genre :)

4 comments:

  1. I love Dessen's way with characters. They always come to life on the page. I've heard that this is a good book in a beach reading kind of way, but not outstanding like I would consider The Truth About Forever and Just Listen. Still, it sounds like something to read when I need a break from the intense books I've been reading. Thanks for the review!

    Kris @Imaginary Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the others were definitely better. This one was good but she's had others that spoke to me more. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This sounds great! The characters all sound awesome and the ending sounds good, too. I think I'll definitely start The Moon and More soon. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the characters and ending were both good, thanks for stopping by Montana!

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)