Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Keeper of the Lost Cities

 The Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger. The first book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series.
Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)
Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.

Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.

Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.”
There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for.
5 stars.
In this page-turning debut, Shannon Messenger creates a riveting story where one girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world, before the wrong person finds the answer first.


I had seen a review possibly (?) and I was familiar with the cover. So when I saw it at my library I grabbed it to try. Wow am I glad I did!

Sophie is a twelve year old girl nearing her graduation...from high school. She's a child prodigy who has been attempted to be hidden from to much attention. She knew she was special. Just not how special she REALLY was. Until one day she meets a strange boy only a little older than herself. He takes her to the lost cities such as Shangri-la and Atlantis to prove that she is indeed an elf. Just like him. Because elves do exist, more than she could imagine!

So now she's discovered a whole new world, a whole new side of herself. Her family isn't realyl her family and in order to survive in the elven world she must forget all she thought was "impossible". Life is very different but she's learning to adapt. Although she has many things to learn and catch up on, she's still as brilliant and special as she was in the human world.

She has very strong telepathic and telekinetic powers. She's special and no one knows why she was left in the human world. How did she get there? Well perhaps not everyone is totally clueless. Fitz, the boy who found her, and his family took her in when she was first discovered. His father still keeps in touch with her and she knows he knows more than he has let on about all that is going on around her. All the older elves think she shouldn't know about her past. And there are so many secrets about herself that she doesn't know!

Pros:Wow. I picked this up because it looked familiar and interesting. I AM so GLAD that I did! This book was amazing. It blew me away, the plot was superb and very developed. I was drawn in nearly immediately and I was so wrapped up I couldn't put it down! The characters and story were very good and kept me interested. The world was wonderful, oh my word. It was just so beautiful. It was perfect, I could see it so well! I really liked Sophie and it just wasn't her past and the secrets but it was also personal stuff. I can't even explain the feel of this book because there were several different ones. She was at this academy. She was out doing stuff, being kidnapped and just wow. Yeah.

Cons:Um....the first chapter of two felt a tiny bit to sudden, like they should have been chapters 3 and 4 instead. I got confused maybe once. It's pretty complex! I guessed a couple thing (which was kinda good, I like that in a plot) but otherwise this was wonderful!
Content wise there were semi-crushes, magic, special talents(telekinesis, telepathy, language talents, fire talent...), kidnapping, and minor-ish injuries.

Overall, I want the next book. Like now. And any other books by this author. I LOVED. It was THE best middle grade I've read in a long while, maybe ever. Teens and tweens who love fantasy and a good book will enjoy. This is clean enough for younger but so developed and well written that a teen or adult could enjoy it a lot!

~so sorry about not posting, I've been really bad about keeping up :(

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I really enjoyed this too. Thanks so much for reviewing a middle grade book. And I have an ARC of Exile. Can't wait to read it and share it on my blog when it releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that a lot of times middle grade books are underrated, a lot of them are really great! I'm so excited for the sequel! Can't wait to see what you think!

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)