Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Fault In Our Stars

 The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.
The Fault in Our Stars
 via
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


4.5 stars

What I liked~ The writing style. While I was disappointed with how sad (not) it was I did enjoy the writing bunches. Really. Isaac and Augustus had some hilarious lines and Hazel was a bit sarcastic as well. I really loved the voice that each one had. It's also amazing how they are the three center characters out of maybe ten that are shown constantly. Green did a really great job telling a story with just a handful of characters (some of who are fatally ill) and how one girl is chasing after the ending to a book. And it has become this beautiful book that people are reading and loving. Pretty cool when you step back and think about it huh? Anyway, the characters had this great sarcastic edge and people were dying cause this IS a cancer book really/sorta and you start reading and a third of the way in (or less than that) you realize that this is a deep book! It has a lot of feelings that make you think and wonder and the you get enraptured by the story. I really liked the characters a lot, they're sarcastic and original. I didn't get super attached (lucky for me haha) and I did guess (view spoiler) but compared to the writing and the meaning that each reader can take away from the book? It doesn't seem to matter as much then.

what I didn't like so much~ The ending can be disappointing to a lot of readers. Especially those who fall hard for the characters. I didn't get super attached and that was partly because I knew it was going to be sad so I tried not to :P And that was also part of the reason I guessed correctly about half way through or so. I hadn't read anything but I could figure that something really sad was gonna happen and then you just add up the pieces. And just a heads up for those who cry a lot in books...you will cry. And that brings me to my last disappointment. I was disappointed I didn't cry more, like I expected to. I did cry once. And it IS sad. It was probably my own fault since I tried not to get attached and all. So this one kinda doesn't count :P

Overall, this is a witty book with sweet characters that are totally in dept and all because they actually think about dying a lot and everyone's purpose in life. It's sweet and sad and keep the Kleenex out, really. It's definitely up to some (if not all) of the hype that's going around. I'd recommend to teen girls 14-15+ :)

Content:There were roughly 85 cuss words. A sex scene is cut off pretty quickly and it's only implied basically. A few kisses and crude jokes and the whole "dying from cancer" thing.

3 comments:

  1. The Fault in Our Stars is one of my favorites. I really think it's a beautiful book. I loved Hazel and Augustus, and I cried several times throughout the story. I loved Isaac. I loved the whole thing. :)

    Piper♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a copy of this yesterday (I'm behind everyone else, lol). I don't really like books that make me cry, but I've heard so many amazing things about this book. I definitely happily HEA's though, so I'll prepare myself for there to not necessarily being one. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)