Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Allegiant by Veronica Roth Book Review

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.


Where to start with this review...It's hard to tell. I've wanted to change the way I review a tiny bit, so bear with me. Divergent has been one of my favorite books ever since I read it. I'm so grateful that my librarian bugged me about it so much, it's a great book. Insurgent was a great book as well. This book was almost a part of another series with the same characters. The world outside the fence and the factions is something unexplored and is far more different than I what imagined and I'm sure what Tris imagined. So I almost feel like I shouldn't review with the rest of the series present in my mind. But then at the same time the past two books have to be remembered when you look at how far the characters have come and such. So in as many words as that...this book is good in the way that it makes you want to scream and cry (which I did) and it makes you want to stop everything, slap characters, and rewrite it. But then at the end you wouldn't have it any other way. Except for one thing. But moving on...

So the outside world is a lot different than I had expected, especially after the ending of the second book. I expected a lot more fighting and stuff like that. But really it's more science than anything. There is some fighting. But it's a lot calmer than I expected. Just Veronica Roth messing with us, we expected something totally different than what she ends up giving us. And the same thing with the characters. We lose some and others go...wow...just it's hard to say without giving it away but they change and can become unfocused "outside". Not the writing, but the characters themselves can become unfocused. It's a much bigger world and they don't understand all of it. This book is just so different. Augh and my words aren't coming together quite right. It's exciting, it's terrifying, and it's different. The characters are in a new setting that is very strange to them and they change and try to adapt to it. Sometimes in the wrong way or better than others. And it gives you a better picture of what kind of people they are. There is the matter of Caleb and Tris's relationship brought up and that was...interesting because you want to know what Tris will do. Then there's some family secrets discovered as well. The book is sort of like the characters going out, learning a lot about their world and the outside world and discovering some things that aren't so very pleasant. Then they use the knowledge they've gained and decide what to do with the threat against their home in Chicago. 

And that, in a badly described nutshell, is what I thought of the book and it's pretty much spoiler free and I doubt will make much sense without having read the first two books. Overall though, I liked it a lot and would give it 4 stars. I thought that the first two were better but it did justice to the series and had a heartbreaking ending. I cried. And at the same time it was a broken sort of perfect.And we got to hear Tobias's POV. That alone is wonderful. I'm quite sorry for the series to end and although it wasn't at all what I would have expected, I enjoyed Allegiant's story and it was very exciting and traumatic for me as a reader ;)

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of thoughts on this one too and it was so hard to get down in writing. I also didn't expect so much science on the outside but overall it was interesting I guess. The first two books were definitely my favorite though. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)