Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan Book Review

Free from bonds, but not each other

It’s time to choose sides… On the surface, Sorry-in-the-Vale is a sleepy English town. But Kami Glass knows the truth. Sorry-in-the-Vale is full of magic. In the old days, the Lynburn family ruled with fear, terrifying the people into submission in order to kill for blood and power. Now the Lynburns are back, and Rob Lynburn is gathering sorcerers so that the town can return to the old ways.

But Rob and his followers aren’t the only sorcerers in town. A decision must be made: pay the blood sacrifice, or fight. For Kami, this means more than just choosing between good and evil. With her link to Jared Lynburn severed, she’s now free to love anyone she chooses. But who should that be?




Augh where to start with this review... The first book left me so mad at the end. I was lucky enough to have not read it until after Untold came out so that when I had finished Unspoken I didn't have to wait for Untold. Not the case now. Sarah Reese Brennan has to be one of the most evil authors ever to leave us with endings like the one in the Lynburn Legacy series so far. I think that the one in Unspoken was worse but that doesn't make this ending any less awful. But let me go back to the beginning.

At the end of Unspoken we have Kami and Jared's bond broken and Jared saying he doesn't want anything to do with her and at the beginning of this book we have them at odds and they're both rather broken and unsure of themselves. It's kind of like a dance, someone will get offended, there is a mistake made and for the whole first half or so I was quite mad at both of them for not seeing sense and getting together. While Kami was a little less broken she still needs Jared and Jared is so sweet...in his own way and he definitely needs Kami. And it takes them quite a while to get back to where they can both admit that to each other. While all this is happening Kami is trying to find a way to fight against the threat against Sorry-In-The-Vale and dealing with some trouble at home and amongst her friends. It's all a very broken book, everything is falling apart for the characters because after the ending of the last book things couldn't stay the same. Rob Lynburn killed a girl to strengthen his powers and got away after the other Lynburns confronted him. (Highlight those areas to see spoilers ↑↑)

So that all being said the plot is a bit exciting and terrible all at the same time. Of course, it has to be or else the book wouldn't have been so exciting. Moving onto the characters I know that I'll have an easy time with them because I love so many of them. Kami is so hilarious and sarcastic, I love her to death. She always has something planned and it's usually a bit crazy. Jared is almost another Kami in a boy's body although he's a bit more motorcycle inclined. Ash is a sweetie and I really do hope that he is able to be happier in the next book. I want him to be. I feel like he is more a wildcard than Jared is because while Jared will do insane things and blow up and all of that, Ash is more likely to slowly build up to some great explosion. At least that it what I feel like might be happening. When you know someone is going to have bursts of anger and impulsive mistakes it's not so bad. But when someone is slowly edging toward becoming dangerous it's a bit more scary. And on to Angela and Rusty. I love them both because they're just as fun as Jared and Kami and have this lazy attitude to everything at the same time. And Rusty is quite vain...and perfect being that way. So it's almost like he's more attractive because of it. Which is scary because it would mean that he's known all along and is increasing his attractiveness. Well anyway, musings aside I love most of the characters in the book. Rob Lynburn and the sisters not so much but I do like Kami's dad and brothers quite a lot.

Overall, this was a great book and I would rate it 5 stars. It was the perfect sequel that made me die at the ending. And I thank the author for the kind note at the end of her acknowledgements. Really, I do! NOT! Anyway, the ending was awful and good at the same time but mostly awful. The plot was good, the characters were great and the writing is lovely and captivating. I feel like I can see Sorry-In-The-Vale and the sarcastic dialogue is something I adore. If you enjoy a sarcastic book with witty characters or a witty book with sarcastic characters pick this book up and enjoy a magical adventure. Maybe with tears. Who knows what the next book holds?
Although I didn't mind this, I'd also like to note that there was a gay character discussed a bit, some language, making out, and a bit of violence with the use of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)