Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.


Add on goodreads?

Hey guys :) Long time no blog. Or at least one that wasn't an update. So I guess that long time no review would be a better term. I haven't been reading as much as usual with all the crazy stuff that has been going on, but hopefully I'll be able to get back into the swing of things and get back into the reading mood as well.
So last night I finished reading Fever by Lauren Stefano. I read it over maybe five days but there were several days that I didn't pick it up. It was a pretty quick and grabbing book once I got into it. I had read the first book, Wither, some time before, I'm not sure how long a space there had been between the time that I read the two. I remembered some of what had happened in the first book and things gradually came back to me as I read farther. I found that the first...half I guess didn't seem to match the style that was found in the rest of the book and the style that I had been expecting. It demonstrated more of the outside world which is something we hadn't gotten to see as much of in the first book. But despite that fact I preferred the later half of the book much more and I thought it was more interesting and exciting as well. Once a certain plot twist happened things got much more exciting and I tore through the rest of it. I put it down wanting to go and grab the third book and find out what was going to happen....right away!


As for the characters I liked Rhine. I think in some ways she might be a little selfish or foolish but there are reasons behind those emotions/actions and you can tell she's not doing it on purpose. She genuinely cares about the people she loves around her and wants to protect them. And she seems fierce too. And driven. and also unique, with her eyes and all. You just know that she's got something special, especially with all of the hints dropped in this book.
Gabriel was a little weak to me. I'm not sure why. I liked him but I didn't really care that much about him. I thought Silas, Maddie, Lilac/Grace were all lovely characters and I liked them. I think that Vaughn is a sort of good bad guy. He wants to do the right thing but his methods aren't exactly humane. And he's creepy!!! And seems heartless most of the time. Linden I felt a little more sorry for and I felt like I understood him better than Gabriel. Although I still don't know how good Linden is for Rhine compared with Gabriel I think I can feel his character better. I feel like he has more emotion or something. Maybe it was just the emotional ending though ;)
4 stars
Overall, I enjoyed this book and while it isn't a favorite that I'll go out and buy I'll still recommend it to any of my friends who like dystopian and I'll definitely be finishing the series!!! I also really enjoyed the world that the author created, it's a great and memorable one.
~Sara
I think I'm going to be reading Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi next. I loved Shatter Me and Unravel Me and I'm so scared for this series to end and be...over. And ended :((( But I can't wait to dive in, all the same.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is the opposite of a Utopia, a perfect world. It's typically set some time in the future where the world is in crisis.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I get it ;b love your reviews

      Delete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)