Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

Blonde Ops by Charlotte Bennardo & Natalie Zaman Review

Blonde OpsPitched as The Devil Wears Prada meets James Bond for teens, featuring a fashion magazine intern in Rome who uncovers a plot to kidnap the First Lady.

Expelled from yet another boarding school for hacking, sixteen-year-old Rebecca

"Bec" Jackson is shipped off to Rome to intern for Parker Phillips, the editor-in-chief of one of the world’s top fashion magazines. But when a mysterious accident lands Parker in a coma, former supermodel and notorious drama queen Candace Worthington takes the reins of the magazine. The First Lady is in Rome for a cover shoot, and all hands are on deck to make sure her visit goes smoothly.

Bec quickly realizes that Parker's "accident" may not have been quite so accidental, and when the First Lady's life is threatened, Bec is determined to uncover the truth. On top of that, Bec must contend with b****y models, her new boss, Candace, who is just as difficult as the tabloids say, and two guys, a hunky Italian bike messenger with a thousand-watt smile and a fashion blogger with a razor-sharp wit, who are both vying for her heart.

Can Bec catch the person who's after the First Lady, solve the mystery of Parker's accident, and juggle two cute boys at the same time? Blonde Ops is a fun, action-packed romp through the hallways of a fashion magazine and the cobblestone streets of Rome.


Check it out on Goodreads! 4 stars. 

What I liked:Well for one, hacking is pretty cool. I'm too lazy and dumb to learn how but I would love to be able to magically do it. So that makes Bec pretty cool. I also liked that she had her own sense of style. The flavor of this book was European and pretty fun and lighthearted. Until people started getting into car accidents and kidnapped! So while there is a lot of sneaking around and the ending is pretty exciting, the overall pace of this book was pretty moderate. So it's not quite Alex Rider speed, but good in its own way. I enjoyed the writing style and the mystery of figuring out who was behind everything. The romance was alright, pretty cute I guess.

What I didn't like so much: Bec could come across a little annoying, sometimes she would be told not to do something and she'd just do it without much caution. So that got on my nerves some. Obviously some of the characters are written to be annoying but sometimes Bec's impressions of them at first cloud her judgment. I also found it weird that she was torn between two guys. I mean I know that it happens a lot in books but it bugged me a good bit in this one because, to me, it felt like she was leading them both on a little bit. Dunno. There were times where things got a little slow but it typically picked up pretty quickly.

Overall, I found this book to be pretty unique and I liked it for that. The settings was great, the mystery was interesting and I don't think I figured very much out of it. I may have guessed one plot twist, maybe? Either way it was exciting and a fun book! I enjoyed the spy element and the hacking a lot, maybe the most (along with the setting). If you like a good spy-like book I would recommend it! And I'm thankful for my librarian for recommending it to me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)