Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Skylark by Meagan Spooner Review

Skylark (Skylark, #1)Sixteen-year-old Lark Ainsley has never seen the sky.

Her world ends at the edge of the vast domed barrier of energy enclosing all that’s left of humanity. For two hundred years the city has sustained this barrier by harvesting its children's innate magical energy when they reach adolescence. When it’s Lark’s turn to be harvested, she finds herself trapped in a nightmarish web of experiments and learns she is something out of legend itself: a Renewable, able to regenerate her own power after it’s been stripped.

Forced to flee the only home she knows to avoid life as a human battery, Lark must fight her way through the terrible wilderness beyond the edge of the world. With the city’s clockwork creations close on her heels and a strange wild boy stalking her in the countryside, she must move quickly if she is to have any hope of survival. She’s heard the stories that somewhere to the west are others like her, hidden in secret—but can she stay alive long enough to find them?
 

Check it out on goodreads! 3 stars.

What I liked:I liked the dystopian/fantasy/steampunk genre and vibe. It's a mix of steampunk like machines in a dystopian world that run on magic. Which lark also has. So it's very interesting and unique. I liked lark. Because while she was special and strove to be special she didn't let it make her become big headed. That's probably in part due to what she had gone through escaping from those who only wanted her power with no regard to the toll it would have on her. She also had a good genuine care for human life. The plot was interesting enough I did have a few issues with it but it was alright. Not super complex but there are a few mysteries yet to be solved.

What I didn't love: the plot could be confusing. The first few chapters were very confusing because you don't know what all the names mean that she's talking about. There was also a few other minor times I got confused, but I think the beginning was the main part. There is maybe a few chapters in the middle that were a bit slow. It's hard not understanding larks power but I assume it's partly because she doesn't understand it either and partly because it will be explained at another time in a future book.

Overall, I was pretty happy with this book. Once I got past some confusion and into the story it was enjoyable. I wouldn't say it was an amazing book but it was a good one and I plan on finishing the series! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad this one improved for you after your initial confusion!

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)