Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

17 First Kisses by Rachael Allen Review

No matter how many boys Claire kisses, she can’t seem to find a decent boyfriend. Someone who wouldn’t rather date her gorgeous best friend, Megan. Someone who won’t freak out when he learns about the tragedy her family still hasn’t recovered from. Someone whose kisses can carry her away from her backwoods town for one fleeting moment.

Until Claire meets Luke.

But Megan is falling for Luke, too, and if there’s one thing Claire knows for sure, it’s that Megan’s pretty much irresistible.

With true love and best friendship on the line, Claire suddenly has everything to lose. And what she learns—about her crush, her friends, and most of all herself—makes the choices even harder.

In her moving debut, Rachael Allen brilliantly captures the complexities of friendship, the struggles of self-discovery, and the difficulties of trying to find love in high school. Fans of Sarah Ockler, Susane Colasanti, and Stephanie Perkins will fall head over heels for this addictive, heartfelt, and often hilarious modern love story.

Check it out on goodreads! 2 stars.

While I thought this book looked interesting at first, I was a bit disappointed when I actually picked it up and read it. It's got a cute cover, the synopsis draws you in...but then it just fell a bit flat for me.

What I liked: The writing was pretty smooth and the book was easy to read. I can't say that it was super super interesting but it flowed well. I liked the relationship between Megan and Claire. It was generally sweet, except for a few times when it was obvious they shouldn't be mad at each other. I thought that the home situation with Claire's family was done pretty well. It was moving.

What I didn't like so much: I thought that the plot was a bit silly in some ways. Not to mention I guessed who she would end up (sort of) with at the end. The main love interest, Luke, was so annoying. It was only a few chapters in that I started to get sick of his presence and the trouble he was bringing. I get that it was in his character to bring some fights in between the girls, but I just found it annoying.

Overall, this was an okay book. There were a few things I liked and it was a pretty easy read. I just felt annoyed with this book as a whole. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a romance. I don't know, but while it was okay and did have some good elements, I didn't really enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't really appeal to me either ;) I don't agree with teen romance, and also 17 first kisses sounds rather wrong. It proves ( to me ) why you should save your kiss for the wedding day. If you kiss just anyone ( even if it doesn't feel like just anyone at the time ) you are taking something special and sacred from the one you will marry and you will always regret those 16-17 other first kisses :D

    Keturah

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)