Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Savage Drift by Emmy Laybourne Review

The stunningly fierce conclusion to Emmy Laybourne's Monument 14trilogy.

The survivors of the Monument 14 have finally made it to the safety of a Canadian refugee camp. Dean and Alex are cautiously starting to hope that a happy ending might be possible.

But for Josie, separated from the group and trapped in a brutal prison camp for exposed Type Os, things have gone from bad to worse. Traumatized by her experiences, she has given up all hope of rescue or safety.

Meanwhile, scared by the government's unusual interest in her pregnancy, Astrid (with her two protectors, Dean and Jake in tow) joins Niko on his desperate quest to be reunited with his lost love Josie.

Author Emmy Laybourne reaches new heights of tension and romance in this action-packed conclusion to the Monument 14 trilogy.




Check it out on Goodreads! 4 stars.

I was excited when I saw this book and I immediately got it from my library, I didn't know that she was going to write a third book. While I really enjoyed (as much as you can enjoy a book where kids are in danger of dying in an apocalyptic world and fending off crazed adults...) the first book the second was a bit disappointing to me. However this book was really good.

What I liked: I loved how it went back and forth between Dean and Josie's POVs, the story flowed really well and both POVs went great with the vibe of the book. Which was definitely apocalyptic and gritty. The cover was absolutely on point and it was great to dive back into the story. I remembered everything I needed to a chapter or so in and there was a nice recap at the beginning that was very useful. It was kind of sad that only half of the kids were really in this book, there were a few more added but Chloe and the twins only had small parts at the beginning of the book :( The plot was very interesting and kept you reading. I still love the idea of people being affected differently because of their blood type. I don't know why, it's just a great way to do it. You also get to see aftermath. There are still many issues with the world but you get to see them start to recover from the catastrophe that struck the country. The characters are going back into the US (leaving a refugee camp in Canada) and trying to rescue Josie. Although this book was kind of dark I didn't find that it really affected me or that it came off as depressing. Probably because the characters leaned on each other and were able to find help. Others may have pieced together part of the ending, but it, was a complete surprise for me and I thought it was a great way to finish up.

What I didn't like as much: I really can't think of anything. The plot was good and made sense and I enjoyed the book a lot. Sure there was a character or two that I found annoying, but they were supposed to be annoying. So yea.

Overall, this was a very interesting book. It was dark and full of the suffering of the world recovering from the chemicals that were released that turned some people into monsters, others into burning flesh, and so on. The characters are raw and vulnerable but strong, because they have to be. The plot was fast paced and had a few surprises as well. Basically I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great dystopian/apocalyptic read. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)