Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Rule of Thoughts by James Dashner Review


From the New York Times bestselling author of the Maze Runner series comes The Rule of Thoughts, the exciting sequel to The Eye of Minds. Fans of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games will love the new Mortality Doctrine series. 
Michael completed the Path. What he found at the end turned everything he’d ever known about his life—and the world—completely upside down.
He barely survived. But it was the only way VirtNet Security knew to find the cyber-terrorist Kaine—and to make the Sleep safe for gamers once again. And, the truth Michael discovered about Kaine is more complex than they anticipated, and more terrifying than even the worst of their fears.
Kaine is a tangent, a computer program that has become sentient. And Michael’s completing the Path was the first stage in turning Kaine’s master plan, the Mortality Doctrine, into a reality.
The Mortality Doctrine will populate Earth entirely with human bodies harboring tangent minds. Any gamer who sinks into the VirtNet risks coming out with a tangent intelligence in control of their body. 
And the takeover has already begun.


Published August 2014. The second book in The Mortality Doctrine. Check it out on Goodreads!
4 stars

James Dashner is an author I've been reading for several years, I enjoyed the Maze Runner series and I was excited for his newest series. I enjoyed the first book, The Eye of Minds and thought it was a great world he was beginning to build. That world is continued in this book, picking up from the cliffhanger that the first book left us with.

What I liked: I feel like, in some ways, this series is better than the Maze Runner series. So far it's been much more consistent, I felt like both books were on about the same level and as a sequel this one book was great and didn't disappoint me. The world-building is basically the same, still brilliant, although it is extended to the real world in this book, which is a change from the first book. There's the VirtNet and everything inside the VirtNet, all the games and places you can go, the programming you can learn. It's great. The characters are the same, there aren't really any new additions, and Michael and his friends, Sarah and Bryson, are lovely. They're incredibly talented and intelligent, they make great main characters. And it wasn't that they were superhumanly smart and etc. they had moments of weakness and through that they remained brave and continued to press on. I also found the plot to be quite gripping, it took a chapter or two and from then on my interest held and my reading pace picked up, especially at the end of the book. I also liked the writing style for this series at least I'm pretty sure that it wasn't in the Maze Runner series to where there would be several section in the chapter? I don't know how to explain it, he would have like mini-chapters within the chapters. I liked it. 

What I didn't like so much: There were a few scenes that were slightly confusing, but the basic idea of what happened was explained in the next chapter or scene. Other than that I can't really think of anything.

Overall, I thought this was a great sequel and I loved the adventure and world-building. The plot was fast paced and interesting, it was a fantastical book with a lot of programming and technical terms brought together to form a great adventure testing the characters. I would recommend this book if you enjoy fantasy books and science fiction. Though it didn't have a completely science fiction feel, not the space-vibe anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)