Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill Review

Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.
Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.
When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself.


Published January 2014. Stand alone. Check it out on Goodreads.
3 stars.

What I liked: I liked reading about the figure skating and the hockey parts, I love watching figure skating and hockey isn't too bad either. It was interesting to switch from one sport to the other and to see how each Sloane handled things that different from their original sport. Also it was interesting to see how they adapted to the persona that can be stereotyped for both sports and handled the people around them. I liked it and there were some nice b characters and love interests. The plot was relatively simple with reasonable flares, Figure Skating Sloane had trouble dealing with intimidating hockey girls and Hockey Sloane was surprised by the intense figure skating schedule and diet etc. But there were a few surprises that I thought were nice :) 

What I didn't like so much: There was a bit of fear at the beginning that made me a little reluctant to continue, it's that "oh no, this plan won't work out well at all!" I get like that sometimes. I thought it might be annoying, the troubles they would go through. But I read on anyway and it turned out that there wasn't much difficulty at all actually. Yay. There were also a few characters that I wasn't to fond of but really there wasn't much that I disliked. 

Overall, I thought this was a cute book and while I didn't love it, I did enjoy it. I liked the skating and hockey aspects of it, I thought the Sloane's were pretty interesting and I liked them. It was great seeing them grow in different environments and the ending was really sweet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)