Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

The Finisher by David Baldacci Review


Why would Quentin Herms flee into the Quag? There was nothing in the Quag except certain death.

Vega Jane has never left the village of Wormwood. But this isn't unusual -- nobody has ever left the village of Wormwood. At least not until Quentin Herms vanishes into the unknown.

Vega knows Quentin didn't just leave -- he was chased. And he's left behind a very dangerous trail of clues that only she can decode.

The Quag is a dark forest filled with terrifying beasts and bloodthirsty Outliers. But just as deadly are the threats that exist within the walls of Wormwood. It is a place built on lies, where influential people are willing to kill to keep their secrets. Vega is determined to uncover the truth -- but the closer she gets, the more she risks her life.

Published March 2014. First in The Finisher series. Check it out on Goodreads!

What I liked: I liked the world that the author created. It was very detailed and well developed. He even had a different way of measuring time too. So that was cool. The characters were interesting and he had a wide range of them in the village that you become familiar with. I especially liked Vega's dog, Harry Two, and her friend Delph. The plot was pretty drawn out, it was an interesting one with a lot of layers. However the plot twists were brought on slowly and I felt like there was really only one big surprise . You can tell that it's a well written book and I think that the world-building and the characters were lovely. The plot was maybe a bit too slow for me, but it was still well thought out and developed nicely. I liked the way Vega transformed from the beginning of the book to the end and I also liked how the book had a sort of open ending. So you could guess what would happen next.

What I didn't like so much: I feel like this book needed a glossary for all of the creatures and terminology that was in this book. It was pretty confusing for a while and some things are just named and never really explained. I'd also say that the sheer size of the book, while it's a good book and it's interesting it is pretty thick, around 500 pages. I feel like it should have been a bit shorter maybe, because it sucked some of the energy out of the book. There were some scenes that weren't very clear to me, when Vega went into the upstairs of the Stacks and went into the past and just...it wasn't really explained what happened up there.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and it was a very original fantasy story with some interesting characters and a nice plot. However sometimes I got a little tired or bored, I think it was maybe a bit too long and some things were too drawn out. I also got confused with some of the terms the author created for his world. I liked it and I would recommend it if you enjoy fantasy and the synopsis interests you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)