Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Fallins Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes Book Review

In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.


Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realise that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....
 


Published December 2012. First book in the Falling Kingdoms series. Check it out on Goodreads!
5 stars

I've read this book three times and I enjoyed it equally each time. It's what I like to think of as a perfect mix. There's scandal, romance, political struggle, wars, magical elements, and a cast of characters brushing by each other and coming into contact and making alliances or enemies as the book goes on. I love that. Although they're different, I find this series reminds me of Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series. 

I love the characters. You're given the entire cast at the beginning of the book and a map of the land, Mytica, and as you begin to read you slowly become familiar with them. There are three kingdoms on Mytica and each have their royal family or something akin to it, there's several princesses, a prince, a rebel and so on. They're the primary characters and end up getting their stories tangled together. There are the politics between the kingdoms and then there's the more magical storyline of the Kindred and the Watchers. All in all...the characters are amazing and I love the way that you see them individually at the beginning of the book and then as time goes on they begin to appear into each other worlds.

The writing and the way this book comes together is amazing and I love it. The world-building is wonderful and memorable (although it could just be that after reading this book several time they've sunk in a bit deeper into my memory). The plot is exciting. I'll admit that because this is my third time reading this book I did remember the plot more than I did the second time and that did cause me to get a little bored at points. That's one of the main reasons that I don't reread books very often, however this is a book and series that is worthy of it, I think. It's a very fast paced plot, with lots of different things going on in each kingdom.

Overall, this book was wonderful. I still enjoyed it nearly as much as I did when I read it the first time. I love the multiple kingdoms and characters and I definitely loved the world-building. Basically, if you enjoy fantasy and romance this book is for you. I love this series and can't wait to read the third book, which came out this month. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)