Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

All Fall Down by Ally Carter Review

A new series of global proportions -- from master of intrigue, NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Ally Carter. 
This exciting new series from NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Ally Carter focuses on Grace, who can best be described as a daredevil, an Army brat, and a rebel. She is also the only granddaughter of perhaps the most powerful ambassador in the world, and Grace has spent every summer of her childhood running across the roofs of Embassy Row.
Now, at age sixteen, she's come back to stay--in order to solve the mystery of her mother's death. In the process, she uncovers an international conspiracy of unsettling proportions, and must choose her friends and watch her foes carefully if she and the world are to be saved.

Published January 2015. First book in the Embassy Row series.
3 stars

I've read several books by Ally Carter before, some of them have been misses for me and others I've loved. I had some expectations for this book and definitely hoped that I would love it. I didn't really love it, I had some issues with it...but it's still good. Let me paint the scene for you. You have a troubled teen, Grace, who is still suffering from her mother dying right in front of her. After being shipped from country to country with her dad and brother, who are both in the army, she's being sent back to a place she spent a lot of time at a long time ago. Back before her mother was killed. She's back at the Embassy in Adria (a fictional country that makes a very neat setting in the book). There she finds a man she thinks is guilty of her mother's murder...the only problem is that she's the only one who believes her mother's death wasn't an accident. So she begins a campaign, helped by a few friends, to discover what this man is really up to.

This sounds like a great book right? I thought so too, in fact I enjoyed the majority of this book. Maybe two/thirds of the way in however, things take a twist and I really start to doubt Grace and that took away from the whole book for me. Because I had doubts, everything she did seemed very illogical and sometimes even making me cringe. Ahem, but enough about what I didn't like. This is a fun book because it's set on Embassy Row in Adria, where all the ambassadors from different countries live and their children and offices and etc. etc. So that ends up giving you a very unique setting and cast of characters. It was definitely my favorite part of the book. Another cool aspect is that Grace and her friends all have unique skills and are rather like a junior spy team with all the tracking suspects and gathering information. That was definitely fun.

So overall, even though this book disappointed me it still had some things I enjoyed and I probably will read the next book in the series. Who knows, maybe the next book will be better. If this still sounds like a cool book to you, I'd encourage you to at least try it as I know others did end up enjoying more than I did. And there are definitely some cool parts that I would say it's worth reading for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)