Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Heart's Obsession by Colleen Coble Review

Can a woman held captive by her family make it back to the one man she knows she can
trust?
When Sarah Montgomery's father succumbs to his long illness, Sarah is faced with a life-altering choice: submit to her brother's will and marry the deceptive Ben Croftner . . . or escape through the dangerous American West to reclaim the heart of her beloved Rand Campbell at Fort Laramie, Wyoming.
From captivity in her family's home, Sarah makes her decision-and begins the perilous journey to Wyoming by train.
But even in the company of Rand's brother, Sarah does not receive the reception she had hoped for. The necessity of a military wife has preempted her, and Rand is already engaged to Jessica DuBois, the seductive daughter of the post commander.
With her heart broken and her life in ruins, Sarah has no choice but to remain at Fort Laramie and try to win Rand back. But things will get tougher before they get easier . . . the obsessive Ben Croftner has just shown up in Wyoming.


Published April 2015. Second book in the A Journey of the Heart series. Read my review of the first book here.
3 stars

What I liked: There is good, flowing writing and interesting characters. The plot is pretty good, there are certainly some intense moments that had me wincing and reading quicker to find out what would happen. I liked the setting too, out west where there are still troubles between the Native American tribes there and the settlers coming from the East. It was more interesting than where the first book was set. I also think that it's a great time period. It's just after the civil war, I think it's kind of a turning point for the country. There was a lot of change. And a lot of change still coming. So yes, I enjoyed the setting. As characters go, I related to Sarah the most. I like Rand, but I find it hard to see where he's coming from sometimes haha...but he is honorable and a good guy. :) 

What I didn't like: When compared to her other books it falls a little short. It could also be because they're smaller books and the writing style has to be a bit more fast-paced, but it seems like there is less build-up and details. 


Overall, I enjoyed this book. I liked the setting and I thought it was more interesting than the first book. But, because sometimes there has to be one, I prefer Coble's longer books because of their complexity and how they're longer, more to enjoy you know? I would still recommend this series to people, because it's good. But I'd not hold back from telling them that I prefer some of her other series more.

I review for BookLook Bloggers
I received a copy of this book to review and the views I've expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for the Liebster blog award :)

    http://keturahskorner.blogspot.com/2015/06/liebster-blog-award.html

    That sounds very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)