Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Ms. Marvel Vol.1 Review

Marvel Comics presents the new Ms. Marvel, the groundbreaking heroine that has become an international sensation! 

Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, Jersey! 

Rating: 4 stars

Lately there have been a lot of reboots of sorts with marvel characters...or rather superheroes gaining new faces or a different character wearing the cape you're used to seeing on, say for example, Thor. However in Ms. Marvel I really felt like this was going to be one of the good ones and I don't think that my hunch was wrong. I was quickly enticed by Kamala, she's such an interesting character and I feel like it's a new story, someone new that I haven't heard of before. You can read a "new" character's story and find similarities to several others at times and I didn't have that with Ms.Marvel. The story is similar to other origin stories, but I sort of expected that. She's got family and friends she's lying to about her heroic adventures and then one or two loved ones that she has filled in on her secret. She's had some triumphs already and a failure or two, she's struggling to find the balance of her own life and her time as a superhero. She's also discovering what kind of a hero she is as she tests out her new-found powers. So it's a pretty standard beginning for her. I enjoyed reading this volume, I read at least half of it in Barnes & Noble a little while ago actually. 

I'm looking forward to grabbing the next volume too, because I want to know what will happen! I like that at the moment Kamala is still a sort of Peter Parker hero(or at least Peter Parker in high school prior to avengers or any sort of superhero team-up), focused in her neighborhood and not saving the world exactly, but still doing her part to keep people safe. It's cozy and I like the art style and writing. I really like Kamala, I know I've already said it but I do. I think it's great to have diversity and spread awareness for other religions and cultures. I know I for one find it interesting and it's nice to see a hero who isn't white. I wish there were more :) Bottom line: I really enjoyed this and can't wait to read the next volume!

1 comment:

  1. Kamala is awesome! I laughed so many times reading her comic books. You defiantly have to read the next books, it just gets better!!

    ReplyDelete

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)