Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

To Kill A Mockingbird Book Review


This is such an interesting book. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much I did. I thought this would be another book I had to read for literature that I might end up liking it a little, but it would (as usual) not be as interested as the recently published fantasy or romance books I choose read. But not the case! Within two or three chapters I was getting hooked and would settle in to read for an hour or two and emerge chapters later. There were things I loved, like how Scout toed the line of what was acceptable for a girl at that time. Her mother died when she was young and she's been raised by her father, Atticus, and their cook Calpurnica. Atticus is the hero, someone who Jem and Scout don't always think of as being as awesome as he really is. Atticus also encourages reading (always a win in my book), thinking for yourself, and asking lots of questions. Anyway, Scout hasn't has the normal sort of raising and she's not the normal sort of girl. She wears overalls and beats up boys at school occasionally. She was great, I loved her spunk and seeing the story told through her eyes. The benefit of the book being told from her, a child's perspective, was the simple way she saw the world sometimes and how she and her brother, Jem, would question the world they were growing up in.

 However the racism and sexism throughout the book was sad, but that's how  the time truly was so it wouldn't have made sense to change it. The main issue or problem for Scout to overcome is the backlash from her father defending a black man accused of a horrible crime that he's mostly likely been falsely accused of, shows just how sad a time it was. That was really the main drawback of the book. Otherwise, it's a charming book that takes you back in time to a small-town in Alabama. There are adventures with lost pants, a ham costume, and a fire even! Plenty to keep you interested beyond the historical aspects. The characters are great too, Scout's family is lovable (her aunt or cousin perhaps not as much, they were barely likable in my opinion) and so are their friends like Miss Maudie, Calpurnica, Dill.

Overall, the writing engaged me almost immediately and I was soon turning pages quickly to see what adventures or mischief Scout would get up to next. It transports you back into the late 30s-early 40s and life growing up in the South. I really didn't think this book would be as good as I found it to be. I'm so glad that I decided to read it, it was truly rewarding and I didn't mind reading it at all!! The racism being, really, the only sad or annoying part of the book...however I feel it reflects the time well and is a peak into the past and what the world used to be like. So it's educational :) If your from the South or searching for a book about the south or even just an interesting, captivating book to read, look no further!

 ~                   ~                   ~                      ~                      ~                    ~                      ~                        ~                          ~                       ~ 
Goodreads • Published December 1982 • First part in a duology (I believe)
🌟🌟🌟🌟

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)