Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Museum of Heartbreak by Meg Leder Book Review


This book was such a sweet book!! I honestly didn't know what to expect from this book. I'd never heard of the author before and while the cover did draw my to this book, I had only briefly glanced over the premise. Nothing had jumped out to me and I didn't pick up this book for a few months. Then the release date started to approach and typical me I didn't plan as I should and only finished it a day before it's release!! What I can tell you is that I'm so glad that I have a copy of this book! I was soon caught up in a world of quirky characters and the high and lows of friendships and romances. 

Pen was someone I could relate to because I too am not very good at socializing. She also wants to become a writer and her favorite escape is in a book! Set in New York, she and her trio of friends are slowing beginning to undergo some changes. Audrey, her bestie, has started to become fast friends with another girl who Pen doesn't like. And then she starts getting into tiffs with her other friend, Eph so she feels like she's becoming all alone. She also starts to like a boy, Keats, and is struggling to find ways to hang out with him more as she is convinced this is going to be her happily ever after. Fast forward to the end of the book, she's heartbroken (as you can well enough have figured out by the title) but she's gained a lot of knowledge. She's made some new friends, figured out her heart, and realized that not all stories will have happy endings. I personally really loved all the characters in this book. They felt alive and there are some characters (like Grace, Miles, Oscar, and May) who I would want to know in real life!! They were definitely my favorite part of the book.

Plot wise, it's got it's ups and downs. I honestly saw some things coming from the second chapter, but that could have been intentional and that didn't mean I knew how the book would end or anything, I just guessed a few things and hoped and hoped things would work out the way I wanted them to. I probably would have asked for a bit more at the ending, or maybe an epilogue, but really it was fine. 
I also liked the writing! There were some really picturesque descriptions and places that Pen and co. visited that sounded wonderful. There were hidden away book stores and thrift shops. There was a flea market, diners, cafes...you name it! I really got involved with the story and the characters within a few chapters and never really got bored. The setting and writing were both lovely and there wasn't anything that I disliked. 


Super sweet story!! When I read the premise I hadn't seen anything that piqued my interest but when I finally started the book I was surprised by characters I grew to love (and to some, strongly dislike) and a sweet story about not only love, but about friendship too. I found it very easy to relate to the main character and I liked her! I may have picked up on quite a few things before she did, but she wasn't dumb or annoying! It's just that she was hoping for the best and after all, who really has a clear head when it comes to figuring out crushes and what not? This is a good autumn or late summer read, as it's set in the fall and I tended to picture an overcast sky over the streets of NYC. If you are looking for a swoon worthy (but also realistic) romance with some quirky characters, I would definitely recommend this book!!

 ~                   ~                   ~                      ~                      ~                    ~                      ~                        ~                          ~                       ~ 
Goodreads • Published June 2016 • Standalone
🌟🌟🌟🌟 (4.5)
** NOTE this book just came out yesterday!! I'd highly recommend going to pick up a copy to read because I definitely enjoyed it ^-^
**Also, I have an ARC that was sent to the library that a librarian then gave to me idk how to properly credit that :P 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have book news or anything!
I'd love to hear about it =)